+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Garrard 301 bearing upgrades??

I'm Adam.

I’d be intrigued to hear a Shindo modified unit but I think the oversized platter looks daft and, if you read his philosophies, they seem to be more based on mysticism, fairy dust and witchcraft than sound engineering principles!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    It's a shame the NWA bearing is no longer available. I found this to be excellent.
    +1 on that. It gave my 401 more authority and ease of presentation.
    Nicely engineered thing indeed.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrajbasi View Post
    The main plus point from what I know about the grease bearing Garrard 301 is certainly not the bearing but the thigh torque motor which provides a great sence of drive. I have heard a hammertone 301with a oil bearing sounding just sublime it was by far the most musical 301 I have ever heard. If I were to go for it the greese bearing 301 with a shindo bearing and platter would be as far as one would need to go to obtain the Holy grail of 301's.
    Very, very, rare, and extremely overpriced. The shindo bearing and platter can be more or less purchased from classic turntable company for a fraction of the price. Where do you think the idea came from for CTC to produce the bearings and platters?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    The shindo bearing and platter can be more or less purchased from classic turntable company for a fraction of the price.
    You've heard a back to back comparison?!

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    You've heard a back to back comparison?!
    The company is based 1mile from where I live so it wouldn't be difficult. He also uses several differing materials so a back to back comparison is pointless you'd need the same materials shindo uses, additionally you'd need a solid cherry plinth and not the American cherry that Layers of beauty produce. The Japanese cherry wood is a different kettle of fish. You can drive yourself nuts trying to find "the best" bearing, or platter, all irrelevant, it's what sounds best to your ears.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Adam.

The company is based 1mile from where I live so it wouldn't be difficult. He also uses several differing materials so a back to back comparison is pointless you'd need the same materials shindo uses, additionally you'd need a solid cherry plinth and not the American cherry that Layers of beauty produce. The Japanese cherry wood is a different kettle of fish. You can drive yourself nuts trying to find "the best" bearing, or platter, all irrelevant, it's what sounds best to your ears.
    Ok, So Ray's CTC version isn't a valid comparison if it is substantially different to the Shindo.
    Not justifying the cost of the Shindo, but it is what it is,... a Unique product.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    Ok, So Ray's CTC version isn't a valid comparison if it is substantially different to the Shindo.
    Not justifying the cost of the Shindo, but it is what it is,... a Unique product.
    I have to disagree. He's producing a product which produces the same effects as the shindo. An enlarged platter and a beefed up bearing. Completely pointless if you ask me. Platter speed stability is more important to me rather than a fancy named platter costing £xxxxx I wouldn't buy a shIndo or CTC bearing or platter.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Adam.

He's producing a product which produces the same effects as the shindo.
    But is he really?
    Thats a big claim and seemingly unproven as you haven't had the opportunity to do the comparison with the Shindo TT.

I don't doubt CTC product, but sweeping claims of this or that are without ground.

I'm Andrew.

Depends on how you interpret what I've said.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Adam.

Depends on how you interpret what I've said.
    'He's producing a product which produces the same effects as the shindo.''

not much room for misinterpretation there..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast