+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Garrard 301 bearing upgrades??

I'm Karl.

Default Garrard 301 bearing upgrades??

Hi all, im going to be putting together a 301 for my next project . Its going to be a bells and whistles jobby, complete refurb with all the best bits i can find to compliment my Reed tonearm.

Theres lots of stuff out there about the benefits of changing some of the stock parts like the idler, eddy brake , oversized platters etc for modern equivalents that make it run smoother and quieter, but im wondering if anybody has any recommendations or knowledge on bearing upgrades?? Which are the best ones and who makes them as i can only find the SMD bearing on Peak hifi which at 600 notes seems expensive for a machined case and spindle and a couple of bushes?? All the others i can find info on are no longer being made

Thanks

Karl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Andrew.

Karl, I'm at work right now. I've tried 4 garrard bearings. I will write some comments tonight.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Karl, I'm at work right now. I've tried 4 garrard bearings. I will write some comments tonight.
    Thanks buddy, look forward to it

CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Adam.

I’m not sure if he’s still doing them, but by far the best bearing upgrade I’ve come across is the Martin Bastin option. He rescued mine after I was foolish enough to upgrade my perfectly good bearing with the original Analog Tube Audio Kokomo bearing which all but drilled a hole in the thrust plate.

I understand they’ve fixed this issue now but I wouldn’t try it again, personally.

Not tried the SMD one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    I’m not sure if he’s still doing them, but by far the best bearing upgrade I’ve come across is the Martin Bastin option. He rescued mine after I was foolish enough to upgrade my perfectly good bearing with the original Analog Tube Audio Kokomo bearing which all but drilled a hole in the thrust plate.

I understand they’ve fixed this issue now but I wouldn’t try it again, personally.

Not tried the SMD one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I totally agree I have had lots of bearing upgrades, I dont want to name names of the ones I never got on with but the Bastin upgrade was one of the best just so musical Bastin offered true value and made perfect sense. The only other one is the crazy priced Shindo Bearing and Platter now this is a serious upgrade that really works.

To my ears you could do alot worse than a well sorted out original apart from above mentioned.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Andrew.

Right a few words. I have tried the Garrard 301, Garrard 401, Bastin Modified 301, and SPH bearing. I'm currently awaiting a Bastin modified 401. To my ears the SPH bearing was the best but it had problems with a scraping noise which I sorted out. The 301 and 401 bearings are excellent and should really be the only bearing that you should ever need. I've spoken to Terry at Loricraft, Matt at Audiograil and Martin Bastin and all say that Garrard bearings are excellent. I think the stock 401 bearing sounds better than stock 301 bearing, but the Bastin modded 301 bearing sounded better than the standard 301 bearing but not as good as the stock 401 bearing. I'm hoping the Bastin modded 401 bearing sounds better than stock 401 bearing. I currently run a stock 401 bearing in my Garrard 301. I'm currently waiting a fully serviced and modded Bastin Garrard 401 turntable so that should give me something else to experiment with!!! I've not heard any other bearings, Artisan Fidelity, Shindo, Peak Hifi and Classic Turntable all produce their own but I have not heard any of these. For what it's worth I would simply send your bearing to Martin Bastin and let him mod and service it. You can spend a lot of money on something that might not actually produce anything of any benefit. The Kokomo bearing upgrades are a no-no, I've seen a few bearings knackered, Audiosilente produce great 301 products and excellent thrust plates, you might want to do some research. So, to conclude I think a well serviced, Bastin modded bearing is probably as good as you'll get unless you want a massive platter. I have no knowledge or experience with oversized platters so you might need to do your own research with respects to bearings designed for this purpose. I hope these ramblings help a little.!!!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Clive.

It's a shame the NWA bearing is no longer available. I found this to be excellent.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm mark.

Wot Andrew said, I've got a few DIY thrust pads, solid phosphor bronze being most successful.
    The SPH was a good upgrade on original Hamertone 301 (funny how the grease bearings fetch a premium) but needed some coaxing to fit, and a little more work on fit n finish. Less than £200 its decent VFM.

I would expect the Peak bearing to be very good with a hardened spindle that will last as long as the original, but no experience.

A point I've not seen elsewhere is the platters. The non strobe is heavier than the strobed 301, which is heaver than the 401. Same casting (?)but they underwent more machining.

I'm Nari.

The main plus point from what I know about the grease bearing Garrard 301 is certainly not the bearing but the thigh torque motor which provides a great sence of drive. I have heard a hammertone 301with a oil bearing sounding just sublime it was by far the most musical 301 I have ever heard. If I were to go for it the greese bearing 301 with a shindo bearing and platter would be as far as one would need to go to obtain the Holy grail of 301's.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Karl.

Thanks guys a few of the names mentioned have popped up but not martin bastin so i will maybe contact him for a chat. Can he build complete bearings or just mod the originals??

The woodsong audio bearing by chris harban has a torlon bearing and he claims its the best garrard bearing available , but he will only fit them himself for some reason so its not available to be sent out to me. Doesnt make good business sense to me but its his choice.

I like the idea of the CTC chassis as its reinforced around the bearing mount stop the slight flex that is in the original chassis. And the reviews of audiosilente idler wheels are very good. So it may be a bit of a mish mash of parts that i cobble together.

I havent seen any shindo parts but have heard his TTs are the best of the best alongside Artisan fidelity. But if the price is anything like AF ($3500+) for platter and bearing then its out of the question.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast