+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Garrard 301 bearing upgrades??

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post
    Thanks guys lots to research and think about. As always with hifi, lots of conflicting views. I was kinda hoping thered be more concrete views on certain products so i could narrow down my options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Some of the seemingly conflicting views will be down to the individual decks being used, mains quality in these specific locations and individual plinths.... all significant variables.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Graham.

I can highly recommend the Long Dog Audio quartz PSU. I have tried four different regenerators on my 401, all of which made an improvement, and the LDA is my favourite. IMO, a stable power supply is vital for getting the best from a Garrard .

I'm Patrick.

Has anybody tried a power supply with theirs? Have read that by lowering the voltage to the motor on the power supplies that you can reduce motor vibrations and noise and improve speed stability , bringing positve results ??
    My grease bearing 301 is still in the box having been re-built by CTC a couple of years ago, but before that I used it with a Nigel Speed Controller and that made a big improvement. The NSC made less of a difference on my Thorens TD124II.

I think one of the reasons why you get such different opinions with these decks is that there are so many variations of plinth, mains supply, condition etc, as well as the normal variations of arm cartridge and different systems and ears.

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

I have a Quartz locked Godolphin PSU which definitely was an improvement in my system over a stock out of the wall (dedicated radial spur for the Hi Fi) situation. I currently have a Longdog Audio quartz locked PSU on loan from Nick. This seems to be very similar to the Godolphin.
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Neil.

Thanks guys lots to research and think about. As always with hifi, lots of conflicting views. I was kinda hoping thered be more concrete views on certain products so i could narrow down my options.

Unfortunately with Garrards its not there, ultimately it makes me want to pass mine on, because I don't know where to go next, and I can't afford to just throw money at it and hope.

Ask about a plinth, a million views all different.

Ask about...... pretty much anything
    Regards Neil

I'm Karl.

Default Garrard 301 bearing upgrades??

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
    My grease bearing 301 is still in the box having been re-built by CTC a couple of years ago, but before that I used it with a Nigel Speed Controller and that made a big improvement. The NSC made less of a difference on my Thorens TD124II.

I think one of the reasons why you get such different opinions with these decks is that there are so many variations of plinth, mains supply, condition etc, as well as the normal variations of arm cartridge and different systems and ears.
    Who manufactures the NSC ? Thats one i havent heard of.

I agree there are varying factors and tastes involved but surely there should be a general consensus that ,a) this bearing is good and b) that platter is good etc etc?

I think im settled on a Woodsong plinth as i like the style and craftmanship but thats the only concrete decision ive been able to make so faar.

Its so easy to find solid info on other tables but not Garrard

Last edited by Bigbird; 07-08-2019 at 21:29.
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    Unfortunately with Garrards its not there, ultimately it makes me want to pass mine on, because I don't know where to go next, and I can't afford to just throw money at it and hope.

Ask about a plinth, a million views all different.

Ask about...... pretty much anything
    For an item.such as the 401 which polarises opinion, that is fairly typical. All I can suggest is to try to listen to other setups and see what you like. I have had mine for many years and and never stop learning. Indeed it is amazing how good it can be, but it doesn't happen by accident and can take years ( in my case at least!) .
    With second hand hifi, most items can usually be sold on for what you paid so you wont be throwing money away if you buy wisely and keep the mods that work and sell the one that dont.

I'm mark.

I think a lot of the variances between decks, plinths, power supplies are overstated. I've had 301 sat next to 401 with a pair of Roksan arms and very similar carts and while they are different if I walked in blind a few days later I'm not sure I could tell them apart?

For me plinths go from lightweight board sat on domes for the softest, most airy sound (Loricroft style) to hard and heavy slate which gives tight/hard /precision. Stacked ply sits between them.

Again, if you like what Garrard's do, you'll like them whatever plinth you use, the type used is just finishing touch.

To get effective advice, we need to know whats liked/disliked. The OP wants to put together an uber Garrard, I may have missed it but I don't know if there's a background of Garrard ownership, if not I'd live with a standard one and see what you'd like to improve rather than spend money.

The other thing, if you want rock solid speed stability, clean precision 'hi-fi' sound (rather than rose tinted clunky Garrard) you may be better off looking at vintage Japanse TT's? SP10, TTS8000, DL80 are obvious choices.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by graham67 View Post
    For an item.such as the 401 which polarises opinion, that is fairly typical. All I can suggest is to try to listen to other setups and see what you like. I have had mine for many years and and never stop learning. Indeed it is amazing how good it can be, but it doesn't happen by accident and can take years ( in my case at least!) .
    With second hand hifi, most items can usually be sold on for what you paid so you wont be throwing money away if you buy wisely and keep the mods that work and sell the one that dont.
    Unfortunately I live in the vintage audio sticks, I don’t think I have ever met another 401 owner where I live so it’s a non starter.
    Regards Neil

I'm Patrick.

Who manufactures the NSC ? Thats one i havent heard of.
    It's a DIY build - search on the lenco heaven forum for all the info (and more) you could ever want.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast