+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Garrard 301 bearing upgrades??

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
    It's a DIY build - search on the lenco heaven forum for all the info (and more) you could ever want.
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by DiveDeepDog View Post
    I think a lot of the variances between decks, plinths, power supplies are overstated. I've had 301 sat next to 401 with a pair of Roksan arms and very similar carts and while they are different if I walked in blind a few days later I'm not sure I could tell them apart?

For me plinths go from lightweight board sat on domes for the softest, most airy sound (Loricroft style) to hard and heavy slate which gives tight/hard /precision. Stacked ply sits between them.

Again, if you like what Garrard's do, you'll like them whatever plinth you use, the type used is just finishing touch.

To get effective advice, we need to know whats liked/disliked. The OP wants to put together an uber Garrard, I may have missed it but I don't know if there's a background of Garrard ownership, if not I'd live with a standard one and see what you'd like to improve rather than spend money.

The other thing, if you want rock solid speed stability, clean precision 'hi-fi' sound (rather than rose tinted clunky Garrard) you may be better off looking at vintage Japanse TT's? SP10, TTS8000, DL80 are obvious choices.
    Thanks , i have considered the other decks mentioned , and one of them may very well be on the list next time but for now i want to try a garrard. I love the looks and a few people ive spoken to have preferred it over the LP12 when they switched , which is what i have now.

Im under no illusion that it will have its own (rose tinted) charm, but from reading the like of artisan fidelity and numerous reviews of other products , it appears that adding in modern equivalent parts like idler, eddy, bearing/platter , power supplies etc, that garrards can be brought up to the standard of modern super decks.

So you can acheive all of that lovely stuff we all like, space, air, detail ,dynamics etc , whilst retaining some of the original charm and sonic signature.

I just figured that if i can build a top spec one from the get go then i wont be wondering what else i could have done better . Plus my Reed arm and Woodsong plinth(when i get it) will deserve that level of partnering .

CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post
    Thanks , i have considered the other decks mentioned , and one of them may very well be on the list next time but for now i want to try a garrard. I love the looks and a few people ive spoken to have preferred it over the LP12 when they switched , which is what i have now.

Im under no illusion that it will have its own (rose tinted) charm, but from reading the like of artisan fidelity and numerous reviews of other products , it appears that adding in modern equivalent parts like idler, eddy, bearing/platter , power supplies etc, that garrards can be brought up to the standard of modern super decks.

So you can acheive all of that lovely stuff we all like, space, air, detail ,dynamics etc , whilst retaining some of the original charm and sonic signature.

I just figured that if i can build a top spec one from the get go then i wont be wondering what else i could have done better . Plus my Reed arm and Woodsong plinth(when i get it) will deserve that level of partnering .

I think you will be very happy with your choice of plinth and arm partnering the 301. My own more humble 301 is sounding lovely with stacked ply plinth, FR64fx and 103r with matched SUT. I've done some tweaking to get where I am now but other than servicing the 301 itself is totally standard. I suggest giving yours a listen before doing anything else to it.

I'm Patrick.

I love the looks and a few people ive spoken to have preferred it over the LP12 when they switched , which is what i have now.
    I had an LP12 just before I bought my 301. LP12s like 301s come in all sorts of guises, but mine was Cirkus, Lingo2, Ekos2, Troika, Prefix so fairly high spec but not like the current top of the pile LP12 I'm sure. The thing that struck me was that whilst Linn have spent years going on about PRAT and Timing, the 301 really does do PRAT and timing compared to an LP12.

I don't know about 'air', 'space' and 'detail' (I reckon the arm and cartridge contributes more there) but idler decks (especially Garrards) really do do dynamics. And if dynamics is your thing, you really should put a Decca on it.

What the Garrard doesn't do best (mine at least), is that between tracks 'I didn't know the stylus was in the groove' thing. Or maybe that's the Decca.

Anyway, enjoy.

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Chas B View Post
    I suggest giving yours a listen before doing anything else to it.
    I reckon that's good advice.

I'm Karl.

Default Garrard 301 bearing upgrades??

Thanks gents, maybe i will get Audio Grail or CTC to throw me together a nut and bolt resto and get a decent power supply and see how these i go from there.

I shall come back to pick your brains as and when

Cheers

Karl

Last edited by Bigbird; 08-08-2019 at 18:15.

I'm Sien.

I
    Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Right a few words. I have tried the Garrard 301, Garrard 401, Bastin Modified 301, and SPH bearing. I'm currently awaiting a Bastin modified 401. To my ears the SPH bearing was the best but it had problems with a scraping noise which I sorted out........
    The scraping noise was due to the use a thinner thrust pad. The issue has been addressed. It happened only on the last batch of bearings.
    Last edited by sph; 09-08-2019 at 08:53.

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by sph View Post
    The scraping noise was due to the use a thinner thrust pad. The issue has been addressed. It happened only on the last batch of bearings.

The new batch of bearings for the Garrard and Lenco will be ready by early September. Both bearing types will come with the latest tweak which will see another level of sonic improvement to a already good bearing.

Do you have any technical info and pics that you could DM me please regarding the new bearings

I'm Patrick.

Do you have any technical info and pics that you could DM me please regarding the new bearings
    There is a load of info on the sph bearings on the Lenco Heaven forum. Might be worth trawling through that, although technical specifications and other people's opinions are never a substitute for trying it yourself.

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
    There is a load of info on the sph bearings on the Lenco Heaven forum. Might be worth trawling through that, although technical specifications and other people's opinions are never a substitute for trying it yourself.
    Agreed but it can point you in the right direction. Will be interesting to see what improvements have been made

Cheers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345