+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EL34 options Radford STA25

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mik_rik View Post
    Russian 6p3se (preferably gold grid types).Sound good and a helluva lot cheaper than nos Mullards.
    I used these in a Leben CS660p to very good effect. However I'm not sure if they are a direct EL34 equivalent (more like a 5881?) So might not work in a Radford.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

You may find the front end valves will make more of a difference than the power valves.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm mick.

I have used them(6p3se)without any issues for 10 years or so in my STA15,a quick google search (el34 vs 6p3se)will tell you what other people who use them think of them. I agree Ali, rolling the front end valves can give a bigger bang for the buck
    Nothin' I do don't seem to work ,it only seems to make matters worse!. Jagger/Richards

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The JJ EL34s are an exact copy of the Mullard/Philips design. The Russian equivalent is the 6P27S (sometimes marked in Cryllic as 6П27C).
    Barry

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    You may find the front end valves will make more of a difference than the power valves.
    ooh ! Now it's getting very interesting and another mine field...
    Any recommendations for these tubes ?
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    ooh ! Now it's getting very interesting and another mine field...
    Any recommendations for these tubes ?
    I use Telefunken and Siemens & Halske brands for the small signal valves; will have to check which are used where, as I'm not using the STA15 at the moment.
    Barry

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I use Telefunken and Siemens & Halske brands for the small signal valves; will have to check which are used where, as I'm not using the STA15 at the moment.
    Yes that would be good info Thanks Barry.
    the Tubes in it atm don't have markings me thinks.

Be good to get the most from it..
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Prompted by this thread I remembered that I had got some new input valves for my STA25 but had never used them (lazy old git syndrome). Anyway got them in earlier today and shocked by the difference they made. Was using Mullard EFF86 and unknown 6U8A. Replaced with new (not NOS) Phillips EFF86 and Phillips 6U8A. The Mullards were old and probably had thousands of hours on them.

The new input valves gave a tighter sound all round, slightly brighter and more forward sound. And also some more detail. All very positive.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Lawrence.

I didn't know Phillips still made EF86 the only recent ones I've seen are Russian (or rebranded Russian) with the pinholes rather than mesh plates.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Prompted by this thread I remembered that I had got some new input valves for my STA25 but had never used them (lazy old git syndrome). Anyway got them in earlier today and shocked by the difference they made. Was using Mullard EFF86 and unknown 6U8A. Replaced with new (not NOS) Phillips EFF86 and Phillips 6U8A. The Mullards were old and probably had thousands of hours on them.

The new input valves gave a tighter sound all round, slightly brighter and more forward sound. And also some more detail. All very positive.
    Good news. Always good to have known good spares to check against what you normally use. They can go off so gradually that you don’t notice.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast