+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rega Planar 3

I'm jorge.

Default Rega Planar 3

Currently I have a Rega Planar 3, Marantz PM7005, Carver TFM-6CB, Marantz CD6005, Bluesound Node 2i, Ascend speakers Sierra 2, SVS sb 1000 subwoofer, and for my dining romm Definive speakers and sw. I listen to all kind of music and love almost everything but rap.

After presenting my self I would like to hear some comments regarding my concern about my new Rega Planar 3 which I bought about three weeks ago and I set it up with a Tangospinner subplatter and an Ortofon 2M Red cartridge that I had in my old RP1 where sounded very rounded, pleasant and nice. I’m very pleased with the P3 mainly with the clarity and definition that I get in all solo instruments or jazz trios, but when it comes to a passage full of sound or when I have Etta James or Plácido Domingo singing loud, I feel a harsh not so pleasant sound, mainly in mid range frequencies. I don't know if the Red is not performing as it used to do in the RP1 where it had a warm and rounded sound or do I have to fit a different cart in the Planar 3.

I’ll appreciate all comments and suggestions.

I'm steve.

Default Rega Planar 3

First of all from my own experience of owning a couple of 2M Reds I can say that is definitely where the problem lies, I found the Red to be coarse sounding particularly with the more difficult inner grooves. I have a Planar 3 and like yourself I’ve upgraded my subplatter with one from Fidelity Designs, in the 2 years of ownership I’ve had several cartridges on it, the Elys 2 which it came with which I didn’t like which I replaced with a Nagaoka MP110 which worked well and sounded good, if I’d wanted to stay with MM I’d have kept it but I had an itch to get a MC cartridge and I bought an Audio Technica ATF7 which I’ve been totally happy with for the last 18 months. You didn’t say if you wanted to get a MM or MC and what sort of price ceiling you have.
    If you want something around 2M Red price I can recommend the Goldring E3, I have had one on my second string deck, an Audio Technica ATLP5 for a few months now and really like it, although I’ve never done a direct comparison I’d say it’s slightly better than the Nagaoka MP110 and it’s quite a bit cheaper. Hope this helps and doesn’t get you totally confused.
    This may go without saying but I assume you use a test record for setting bias, the Regas are well known for giving too high a bias, I and others have found the correct bias for a 2g tracking force cartridge is with the bias slider at just below the “1” indication.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by steve-z; 07-08-2019 at 00:13.

I'm Dave.

The 2M Red isn't the most refined of cartridges but before ditching it, check the overhang is spot on and increase the tracking weight to the cartridge maximum.

I'm Mike.

Yes i would check to make sure it's set up right before ditching it, but if that doesn't help then i can highly recommend the Ortofon VMS30 mk2 it's no longer manufactured but you can usually pick up a very good one on ebay for not much money, i had one in my Planar 3 for a number of years and only changed when i got my Audio Technica ART 9

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

+ Reply to Thread