+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Interest Check - Sheffield Bake-Off

I'm Deleted.

Default Interest Check - Sheffield Bake-Off

A friend recently introduced me to a ‘space for hire’ in Sheffield (very near the Sheffield United football ground). It’s a really nice space that is reclaimed from a very old building. There is seating available for a potential 60 people. The best thing about it though is the sound of the room which is very well controlled with very little flutter echo and bodes well for the sound of systems. In addition, there is easy access (the train station is a 10-15 minute walk away, or a short £5.00 taxi ride, and busses also run from the station to nearby streets) local parking (free on a Sunday which is what I am proposing) and no issue with noise annoying the neighbours. There are also separate men’s and ladies toilets and the potential to use an extra space that has a small meeting room and a kitchen. Finally, there is a high quality projector and motorised screen if any use can be made of it. All in all it is probably the best demo space I have ever encountered. There are also a number of nearby pubs and lots of places to eat .

If interest is sufficient I propose a meeting in a few weeks - cost should be zero to minimal. There is a cost to renting the space but it is quite reasonable and it is likely ‘mates rates’ can be negotiated - so I expect the cost to attendees to be zero or, at worst, under £5.00. I should add this is fun, hobbyist, zero profit undertaking - any charge will simply be to cover room hire.

So, if seriously interested, please post below and please also say what you would like to bring, or hear .

————

Edit and update (23rd August)

The following link (to a spreadsheet) and text has been provided by one of my compatriots in this affair (the planning of all this is down to three friends - but I’m the only one who is a member of this forum).

Link to spreadsheet is here.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

You can add a line for yourself to the live doc.

If we end up being oversubscribed we may have to make restrictions on numbers and gear. Hopefully not though.

The idea is a to get a great spread of quality gear, classic, diy and bought stuff. Ideally variants in each field, valves, solidstate, cd, dac and file source, vinyl, tape, panel and planar speakers, subs, standmounts, compacts, multiway, high sensitivity, single driver, all the options.

We'll work on a format for showing once we have an attendee list and date chosen.

I'll lock lines once they are approved by each attendee.

The Room

The space is located at the Portland Works (the birthplace of Stainless Steel cutlery) Sheffield S2 4SJ.

https://www.portlandworks.co.uk/roomhire/

The room is 17M long x 5,5M wide and a ceiling height of 3.45 M. with double sockets located every 4.1.M down the long walls.

The room was rewired to it's own consumer unit and the works has it's own substation.

The floor is of suspended timber construction with joists 280 x 70 mm. 30mm thick pine floorboards have been overboarded with 18 mm thick chipboard.

The industrial floor construction and high ceiling gives the room a very neutral acoustic balance.
    Last edited by YNWaN; 23-08-2019 at 16:06.
    Account Deleted

I'm Micky.

Count me in Mark ..I like Sheffield..hopefully no date issues ...I can bring CD player if needed or maybe turntable

Bigman80 Guest

I'd happily do the 60 miles for a bake off.

Would bring the SP10, DCB1, BigBottle Phonostage and the Neurochrome 686 and some cables, if that was of interest, if not then they can stay in the car lol

I'm Deleted.

Micky (and others), thanks for your interest but please don’t just say you could bring a CD player - please say exactly what CD player. I can personally organise every type of component, it’s what it is that matters..,,
    Account Deleted

I'm Micky.

Linn cd12

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes would be up for it, work permitting. Could bring Bastanis OB’s.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Des.

Hi Mark, I'm up for this, could bring a Canary Audio 608 intergrated amp, Living Voice Avatar speakers, a Chevron Audio DDDac 1794 and a Sony transport. If none of this is wanted, I'll attend anyway.

The Chevron DAC is worth hearing, it has held its own against dacs many thousands its price at a few bakeoffs.

How big is the space ?
    Last edited by Hap Hazzard; 07-08-2019 at 07:49.

I'm Martin.

I'd be interested in attending but would have to come by train so could not bring anything except a DCB1 pre-amp, all my other stuff is too big and heavy now.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Barrington.

Count me in please Mark

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

I'm Rob.

Hi Mark,
    I’m up for it too.

I’d like to hear the Paradise and seeing your thread on PFM it looks like Si (Sq225917) is bring one so I’m happy. The Bigbottle vs the Paradise would be an interesting match-up.

I can bring my witty personality and dazzling good looks?
    Well Tempered Versalex, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Trilogy 906, MCRU LDA Linear PSU, Naim ND5 XS 2 , Exposure 3010S2D, Roksan TR-5 speakers, Spotfire Interconnects/Spotfire Reference speaker cable

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast