+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast

Thread: Interest Check - Sheffield Bake-Off

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Got to ask, what's the Eclipse CD player for? They were £9.99 from Richer Sounds IIRC. Or was it £4.99??

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Just to prove that source first is not necessarily a correct view. Shame I was having problems with a decent source, I was soldering the Quads together until 23.45 on the Saturday night and had a mishap with my DAC the week before.

Still the Quads are transportable now they have proper stands, will be interesting to see if all that work provides any sonic benefit.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

They sounded great with CD.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    They shone for me with the CD and even more so with the TT.
    Excellent work and well worth the effort
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Leak Lenco GL75 with Ortofon OM10 cartridge
    Technics RS-BX404 Cassette Deck
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus R2-R DAC (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.
    Sennheiser HD545 Ref, HD600, HD477

I'm Lawrence.

What, the Eclipse??

I'm Deleted.

Account Deleted

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    That's a pretty fair assessment of the various set ups and my thoughts would be along similar lines.

My pure class D set up was pretty grey and underwhelming on the day, it sounds better in my smaller, soft furnished room, but similar. Introducing Ali's Valve Amp made a huge difference and brought a smile to my face for sure.
    For reference, my set up is totally balanced, but I used an XLR to RCA adaptor lead, to accommodate Ali's single ended Valve Amp, when it powered the Mids/Twts. This arrangement ran remarkably quite, with no sign of hum etc, which can sometimes happen when mixing single ended and balanced equipment.

A slight specification correction, the replacement 12" woofers I used are not SEAS, they are the Scanspeak 30W, a much overlooked bass unit.

I'm Deleted.

Ah, ok, I’ve made that change; I don’t know why I thought they were SEAS.
    Account Deleted

I'm John.

I had a Seven Hour Round Trip all in, so it was a bit of a adventure in itself getting to and from.
    I would think the Spirit of the day was more from a adventurous approach, than the well established system being put on trial in a known environment.
    The Quad ESL 63 was fresh of the work bench, and being put out for a public auditioned working bench test, and they pulled through nicely, they did sound very nice with Vinyl, but as a preference I would have liked a little more volume, but that was not avaialble with vinyl on the day.
    When the CD went on they were delivering a fine performance to my ears, holding onto my interest.
    Si was presenting the latest incarnation of a bread board assembly Pi digital set up,
    in a case this would lose itself in a domestic environment, with thousands of Music choices at the touch of tiny remote, the Speakers in use had a good delivery, and the amps I know from a previous demonstration in a different set up, and I have only good appraisal for their delivery.
    The Newly Built DIY NS1000 Mimic Speakers were of the finest finishing, they were very skillfully built and would adorn any home, more than capable of creating a appeal as a furnishing.
    On the resident set up, I was wishing the Bass Unit had few hundred hours extra playtime under the belt, Ali's Valve Amp took them to another level of performance I did not see developing, on my Journey home it was a case of what if we put the Valve DAC in the set up as well, hmmm???.
    The System firing down the room by the Hall Entrance was delivering Female Vocals and Blues in a noticeable quality, I felt the speakers were not projecting/ or getting to grips with the room so the more energetic music was geting a little lost in the space.
    As I liked a few of the replays from this system, I had a look under the hood, and see if i could use my Valve DAC, which was a goer, and the offer to hook it up was kindly accepted.
    Once this was working, two things took place that I didn't forsee, first was the new projection of the Soundstage, I would have expected this from a Amplifier, but not from a DAC, so hey ho what do I know, it was a good synergy with partnering equipment and the speakers coupling to the room was very captivating.
    Secondly, I put on a CD I was gifted for its first time being played by me.
    I have this CD in Vinyl and it is a great recording, and others have purchased it after listening to it. The CD didn't get through half a tracks replay before it was ousted from the Player. I certainly was not anticipating that, I've only been into CD'sfor a short period of time, so I wonder how many of my collection would fall when compared to Vinyl ?
    I had engaged in a few good valuable informative conversations and felt very welcome, as welcome as the Crispy Cremes were, I also learnt one other trick, I didn't know it was so easy to eat a Crispy Creme like a Jaffa Cake, Full Moon - Half Moon - Total Eclipse, I don't know how many were observing,
    but there was a few Total Eclipses during this meet
    'Til we cross paths again

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    What, the Eclipse??

Yep.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Lawrence.

Yep.
    I'll believe it when I hear it...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast