+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Marantz CD52 Mk2 - CD Drawer is jerking on open/close

I'm richard.

Default Marantz CD52 Mk2 - CD Drawer is jerking on open/close

Hi All - I have the above player in the office and its been great for YEARS !

However, its just started to fail. On opening and closing the CD drawer, the drawer jumps and jerks in operation and is noisy. It plays the CD fine and it operates to commands from the remote or on the fasia.

I don't want to bin it but would like to fix it - so any ideas on how to attack this problem ?

thanks in advance

richard

I'm Alan.

Probably dried up grease on the slides, plus ingress of crud.
    You will have to take it apart, clean it and re lubricate.

I'm richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Probably dried up grease on the slides, plus ingress of crud.
    You will have to take it apart, clean it and re lubricate.
    Cheers Alan - I'll try that; not that I've ever opened it up before I'm sure it wont be hard

I'm richard.

Hi Alan - now that you've pointed out the problem is fixable you prompted me to do some research and it seems this is a common problem with CDM4 tray gear. The gear wheel breaks up but it and the belt can be got from China on ebay. So as have to open it up and dismantle it I may as well order the parts and keep it going for many more years (in this throw away society).

cheers Richard

I'm richard.

1565812590632807131951.jpg
    So China sent a replacement wheel and belt. Using a YouTube video I replaced it. Quite an easy tho fiddly job. The old wheel practically disintegrated when I got it out leaving lots of plastic debris in the player. Took ages to get it out - better than binning tho!!

I'm Lawrence.

Phillips used the wrong grease which rotted the cogs and it nearly made Micromega bust, their rep took a massive hit. Not sure why the same didn't go for Marantz and all the other companies using the mech.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Sounds like mineral grease may have been used. Silicone grease is less likely to cause damage or harden and oxidise.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm richard.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Sounds like mineral grease may have been used. Silicone grease is less likely to cause damage or harden and oxidise.
    Well i didn't have any silicon based grease unfortunately so I applied a very light smear of vegetable oil on the trays teeth - the 1 Calorie per spray !!!.

Slides in an out very smoothly and quietly now.

The Chinese company I found on eBay were very quick to send it and it arrived quicker than I expected. The replacement belt was not as good as the original so I reinstalled that one.....

+ Reply to Thread