+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Termination

I'm Richard.

Default Termination

I have a single 1.6 metre length of unterminated Kondo ksl-SPC cable. it's the older stuff as its white lettering on the light grey casing. I am going to cut it in half & make a pair of interconnects. I am aware that the enamelling on each strand makes terminating tricky so I wondered if anyone out there would be confident of doing this for me. Or maybe recommend someone. cheers

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny nocash View Post
    I have a single 1.6 metre length of unterminated Kondo ksl-SPC cable. it's the older stuff as its white lettering on the light grey casing. I am going to cut it in half & make a pair of interconnects. I am aware that the enamelling on each strand makes terminating tricky so I wondered if anyone out there would be confident of doing this for me. Or maybe recommend someone. cheers
    Enamelled wire can be a right shit to work with bit in my experience, some fine guage wire wool worked well enough when I had to Re terminate some enamelled copper.

What plugs are you considering putting on the end?

Soldered or screw terminals?

I'm Geoff.

Heat the tip of each wire to be soldered with a cigarette lighter, that breaks down the enamel, then use the wire wool to shine it up so solder takes. Be careful if the wire is ultra fine.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Richard.

image.jpgimage.jpgThanks for the replies guys.
    Yes Oliver, I've heard it's a pain to work with, that's why I'm looking for someone more competent than I. I was looking at using Audio note soldered RCA's to stay in keeping with the cable. I know they're typically AN overpriced so any suitable recommendations on that front would be welcome.
    And yes Geoff, the strands are very fine. I could have a go at removing the enamel, maybe a candle would do the trick? but it could be an expensive mistake..... Ending in 6" interconnects!

I'm Gary.

A candle may not be hot enough and could coat the strands with carbon.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Gary.

Look at the KLEI range of RCA's.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

Bigman80 Guest

image.jpgimage.jpgThanks for the replies guys.
    Yes Oliver, I've heard it's a pain to work with, that's why I'm looking for someone more competent than I. I was looking at using Audio note soldered RCA's to stay in keeping with the cable. I know they're typically AN overpriced so any suitable recommendations on that front would be welcome.
    And yes Geoff, the strands are very fine. I could have a go at removing the enamel, maybe a candle would do the trick? but it could be an expensive mistake..... Ending in 6" interconnects!
    Isn't that cable for speakers?

I'm jamie.

+1 on what Geoff said, I was doing that yesterday.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Isn't that cable for speakers?
    Errr ..yes Ollie. But it has been used as power cable too so I thought it could be used as an interconnect. Maybe this is my 2nd rookie error after the candle suggestion.

Bigman80 Guest

Errr ..yes Ollie. But it has been used as power cable too so I thought it could be used as an interconnect. Maybe this is my 2nd rookie error after the candle suggestion.
    I'd suggest trying some cheap RCAS just to see if they are OK to your ears. If you like them, then spend big.

Set of neutrik plugs is £5. Seems sensible.

If you want me to build them up, drop me a PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast