+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which tannoys

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm phil.

Default Which tannoys

I have a listening room 4m x 6m my system is against the 4 m wall and I sit at the other side so listen length ways power is supplied by oinx pre and monos, my question is what size tannoys are best for this area I can either go for the Eaton’s Cheviots or Berkeley’s , thanks.
    Modded td160 super Thorens ol encounter arm hana sl cart, angle audio studio pro mc virtual battery phono amp with separate psi, Onix pre and mono amps, Onix CD player, Onix BWD and soap tuner. B&W dm2 speakers or super pencil 12 speakers, atlas cables, seperate mains power supply with earth spike.

I'm Geoff.

Take your pick, any of those will work fine in that room.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm phil.

What are the main differences between them, and what would you advise as I’m not over familiar with tannoys , just liked the sound when I heard them.
    Modded td160 super Thorens ol encounter arm hana sl cart, angle audio studio pro mc virtual battery phono amp with separate psi, Onix pre and mono amps, Onix CD player, Onix BWD and soap tuner. B&W dm2 speakers or super pencil 12 speakers, atlas cables, seperate mains power supply with earth spike.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by moodybuilder View Post
    What are the main differences between them, and what would you advise as I’m not over familiar with tannoys , just liked the sound when I heard them.
    Do you remember the model you heard. If as Geoff says, any Tannoy would suit, then why not go for the same model you heard.

(I should point out that I'm not a Tannoy expert; having only had the occasional experience of hearing them.)
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by moodybuilder View Post
    Tonally all three are pretty similar and through the mid and above they sound nearly the same, the main difference is the bass slam and extension, which increases as driver size and cabinet size get bigger. That's not to say the smallest, the Eaton, is particularly lacking mind you, it's very punchy.

Last edited by walpurgis; 04-08-2019 at 15:19.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Edward.

+1

I'd say any of the 3 mentioned. I have Eatons and Berkeleys. Have heard Cheviots. They all benefit from the single point source coherance with the larger drivers providing more bass extension - as mentioned.

Power them with clean amps with a good source and immerse yourself in the music.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Edward.

Or if you are feeling flush with the cash find some drivers and get RFC to design and possibly build you some custom cabs and crossovers.

For example like the following that Westlower has.

Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Geoff.

Or, just buy my Cheviots .

I'm Edward.

Your Cheviots must be the best looking Cheviots I've ever seen Geoff. Did you bypass the tone controls when you did the restore?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Your Cheviots must be the best looking Cheviots I've ever seen Geoff. Did you bypass the tone controls when you did the restore?
    No. They are standard apart from replacing internal spade connectors with something decent. They sound magnificent!

Last edited by walpurgis; 04-08-2019 at 16:45.

+ Reply to Thread