+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Qobuz Impression

I'm Gary.

Ran both Tidal and Qobuz together for about 6 months, no point having both so wanted to compare.
    Best Tidal had to offer imo was the MQA masters, my dac does MQA unfolds so heard it at its best.

Initially impressive compared to 16/44, either streamed or played from local library, over time though something wasn’t quite right.
    Almost like a loudness button being hit, took a while but it sounded “processed” and gone back to 16/44 from Tidal as my preference.

Compare that to true 24/192 from Qobuz...

Sound quality wise, it’s Qobuz for me, any day of the week.
    Doing direct comparisons of the same album, same 16/44 version, Qobuz was less processed sounding, better dynamic range, vocals more natural, generally just better.

Music availability wise, Qobuz started off on the back foot, but the situation is much better.
    What I really like about the Qobuz choice is that whilst you maybe don’t get every album all the time, what you DO get is the rarer recordings, live concerts and studio cuts etc you may not have known about.

Run Spotify because of it’s direct link to the Shazam App link?
    Out n about and hear music you like but don’t know?
    Run the app and it’ll tell you, and add it to your Spotify library.

Like the albums?
    Enjoy it in full quality in Qobuz.

That’ll do for me.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm gone.

I'm subbed with Tidal Hifi atm.
    On my system it's noticeably more upfront and vivid than Qobuz (16/44), although I wouldn't say that one was right and the other wrong, it just comes down to system synergy, personal preference and perhaps mood of the moment.

I can even settle down happily with Spotify Premium, after a short period of adjustment. It's way more laid back than the other two, but sometimes I'm in the mood for that.

Primephonic (a classical music only streaming service) has a nasty distortion sometimes overlaid on it, I couldn't live with that, although no-one else I have read about seems to suffer from it. Must just be my system configuration.
    Deezer is Qobuz-like in presentation but when I tried it (about 18 months ago) its classical catalogue was very limited.

I'm Paul.

Just an update on this. Ive been using Qobuz through bubble for the last few weeks and it sounds so much better than it does through Audirvana.

All of it goes through my RPI plus Allo Digione then through my Caiman Seg.

Can only conclude that I've not quite got the settings between Qobuz and AV right as suggested in an earlier post or Qobuz doesn't work as well with AV as Tidal does.

More investigation required!!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Beresford Caiman Seg & Dorado powered by 15v Linear PSU
    Transcendent Sound Mini Beast OTL
    Amptastic Mini-1
    Klipsch KG4.5 Speakers with Titanium Diagphrams and Sonicap Cap upgrade
    110aH Leisure Battery powers the Mini-1 & Digione

I'm David.

We've just got the free Qobuz trial although we have been using Tidal through Roon. First few comparison we can hear bugger all differences using the same albums. It also looks like Tidal is more suited to our musical tastes. Will say we are very happy with Roon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12