+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36

Thread: Cheap second system for background music

  1. #11
    Join Date: Feb 2008

    Location: Middlesex, UK

    Posts: 4,151
    I'm Alex.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Can't argue with the SPPPV of this little bit of ChiFi.

    I am using one as a stopgap between amps and I have had 3-4 hour listening sessions without fatigue.

    I use a 19v laptop SMPS and it's doing sterling work.
    "ChiFi", not seen that before, good description. I have tried the TPA3116 on my Tannoy HPD315's and in my case 12V is satisfactory with these speakers as they are more efficient / sensitive than the Rogers.
    Spendorman

  2. #12
    Join Date: Nov 2015

    Location: Wolverhampton

    Posts: 10,156
    I'm Oliver.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    "ChiFi", not seen that before, good description. I have tried the TPA3116 on my Tannoy HPD315's and in my case 12V is satisfactory with these speakers as they are more efficient / sensitive than the Rogers.
    I think Macca suggested a bit more juice may improve the bass a little and I thought he was right.

    My speakers are about 96db sensitivity so certainly not hard to drive.

  3. #13
    Join Date: Oct 2018

    Location: Forest of Dean

    Posts: 643
    I'm Gary.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    How about a mini review when you get it?
    Will do.

    Although it won't be here until 25th at the earliest
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

  4. #14
    Join Date: May 2018

    Location: Woking

    Posts: 459
    I'm Chris.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    How about a mini review when you get it?
    I recently bought this from Amazon. (couldn't wait for 2 weeks!). Its a 100w version if you power it appropriately.

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    As far as a review goes I took it round to my dads to try with his Penaudio speakers (9k new). His previous amplification (Talk Hurricane 3/Musical First/custom valve pre's) is now for sale.

    So that's a 28 quid amp powering many grands worth of speakers replacing a couple of grands worth of amplification. The synergy with the speakers was utterly astonishing.

    Now being run off a linear power supply set at 18v. Everyone should have one of these.
    System 1: - Amp: Ming Da MC 368B -
    - Source: Linn LP12 (Denon 304) - Arcam rPhono - Pioneer N-30K - Musical Paradise MP-D1 mkII -
    - Speakers: Quad 63's - REL T3's -

    System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP-701 - Neurochrome 686 -
    - Source: Audio Technica LP5 - EAR834p clone - Pioneer N-30K - Musical Paradise MP-D1 -
    - Speakers: Cambridge Acoustic "Grand Master Evolution"

    System 3: - Amp: Custom N-core 300B SEP -
    - Source: Novafidelity X12 - Jolida Glass FX III -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - REL T3 -

  5. #15
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Staffordshire, England

    Posts: 27,586
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    I recently bought this from Amazon. (couldn't wait for 2 weeks!). Its a 100w version if you power it appropriately.

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    As far as a review goes I took it round to my dads to try with his Penaudio speakers (9k new). His previous amplification (Talk Hurricane 3/Musical First/custom valve pre's) is now for sale.

    So that's a 28 quid amp powering many grands worth of speakers replacing a couple of grands worth of amplification. The synergy with the speakers was utterly astonishing.

    Now being run off a linear power supply set at 18v. Everyone should have one of these.
    I'm surprised by that. Whilst the TPA3116 is competent in isolation, swapping back to 'proper' amplification did reveal what it misses. A lot of detail, like multi-tracked vocals for example, gets glossed over. I suppose not everyone is bothered about that though.
    Current Lash Up:

    *Oppo BDT-101CI* Nelson Pass DCB1 / Krell KSA100 mkII * JM Lab Electra 926 *


    'You fool! To think that your ape-brain could contain the full knowledge of the Krell!'

  6. #16
    Join Date: May 2018

    Location: Woking

    Posts: 459
    I'm Chris.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'm surprised by that. Whilst the TPA3116 is competent in isolation, swapping back to 'proper' amplification did reveal what it misses. A lot of detail, like multi-tracked vocals for example, gets glossed over. I suppose not everyone is bothered about that though.
    You're not the only one who was surprised Martin!

    I've tried to better the aforementioned amplification with offerings from Ming-Da, Musical Fidelity, Quad and the old Talk always prevailed. Until now. I think the most surprising thing was the dynamics. It goes from a distant ambient note to a gigantic swell of sound in an instant.

    The old man's hearing is not the sharpest to be fair and he mixes classical with 70's rock. Maybe some slightly more modern recordings will show any weakness' it has.

    I agree prolonged listening is required to better understand what might be missing.

    Could you give an example of a good test track to determine what you suggest could be missing? 10CC - Not In Love (beginning part with layered vocals maybe??)

    Cheers.
    System 1: - Amp: Ming Da MC 368B -
    - Source: Linn LP12 (Denon 304) - Arcam rPhono - Pioneer N-30K - Musical Paradise MP-D1 mkII -
    - Speakers: Quad 63's - REL T3's -

    System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP-701 - Neurochrome 686 -
    - Source: Audio Technica LP5 - EAR834p clone - Pioneer N-30K - Musical Paradise MP-D1 -
    - Speakers: Cambridge Acoustic "Grand Master Evolution"

    System 3: - Amp: Custom N-core 300B SEP -
    - Source: Novafidelity X12 - Jolida Glass FX III -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - REL T3 -

  7. #17
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Staffordshire, England

    Posts: 27,586
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post

    Could you give an example of a good test track to determine what you suggest could be missing? 10CC - Not In Love (beginning part with layered vocals maybe??)
    .
    I noticed it with about the first thing I played after swapping back to DCB1/Krell which was a Robert Plant record 'Principle Of Moments'. I think it is at the start of the second song, Plant sings for a second or two before the rest kicks in and the multi tracking on his voice was obvious, no need to listen for it.

    It wasn't obvious with the TPA3116, not sure if it is still there or not with that amp, but it certainly isn't obvious. It is a good quality recording though.
    Current Lash Up:

    *Oppo BDT-101CI* Nelson Pass DCB1 / Krell KSA100 mkII * JM Lab Electra 926 *


    'You fool! To think that your ape-brain could contain the full knowledge of the Krell!'

  8. #18
    Join Date: May 2018

    Location: Woking

    Posts: 459
    I'm Chris.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I noticed it with about the first thing I played after swapping back to DCB1/Krell which was a Robert Plant record 'Principle Of Moments'. I think it is at the start of the second song, Plant sings for a second or two before the rest kicks in and the multi tracking on his voice was obvious, no need to listen for it.

    It wasn't obvious with the TPA3116, not sure if it is still there or not with that amp, but it certainly isn't obvious. It is a good quality recording though.
    Thanks I'll give it a go.

    The speakers really seemed to react well to the change so possibly a re-capped/serviced Talk would be an obvious winner in a back to back comparison. It has been sitting there for best part of 15 years to be fair . . . .

    I'm sure the Krell is always welcome back in after something (momentarily) takes its place!
    System 1: - Amp: Ming Da MC 368B -
    - Source: Linn LP12 (Denon 304) - Arcam rPhono - Pioneer N-30K - Musical Paradise MP-D1 mkII -
    - Speakers: Quad 63's - REL T3's -

    System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP-701 - Neurochrome 686 -
    - Source: Audio Technica LP5 - EAR834p clone - Pioneer N-30K - Musical Paradise MP-D1 -
    - Speakers: Cambridge Acoustic "Grand Master Evolution"

    System 3: - Amp: Custom N-core 300B SEP -
    - Source: Novafidelity X12 - Jolida Glass FX III -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - REL T3 -

  9. #19
    Join Date: Feb 2008

    Location: Middlesex, UK

    Posts: 4,151
    I'm Alex.

    Default

    Not all TPA3116 amps are the same, not my findings but a friend is a wizard with these things. I'm certainly happy with the one he put together for me.
    Spendorman

  10. #20
    Join Date: Aug 2012

    Location: Lincs

    Posts: 863
    I'm Philip.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Buy one of these from China. There's a bunch of us on AOS who've been using them lately. They sound great!

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silver-HI...IAAOSwjDJZ4EKJ

    I bought mine for a second system, but it's been driving my big Tannoys with no bother and sounding ridiculously good.
    About to get one of these.
    Did this come witt 25v or 35v caps do you know?

    Cheers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •