+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FS: Complete vinyl playback setup - Turntable, Arm and cart.

I'm Gary.

Hi Dennis,

The combination is known for working really well together, John Michell designed the turntable with an SME V so there's great synergy there.
    The V's reputation speaks for itself really, sound is always subjective, but this deck has a long reputation, can say certainly the best I've heard.

Is it an LP12 you have, not heard one in years but I can say that this is the best turntable I've ever heard.
    It's just that...I'm not as excited by vinyl the way I thought I would be, so the deck is wasted on me really.

Don't have an overall dust cover, had one before that covered the entire deck, as well as a stealthy one that sat on the platter and covered the arm, but I felt its a deck that needed to be shown off in my rack, so decided not to have one.
    To keep playing surface dust free though, I use a Rega mat to keep dust off the platter and dust the deck most days, so it's not a problem.

Confident on shipping, absolutely.
    Would be contacting Michell to supply me with original box packing before transit, so as safe as it could be.
    I've bought and sold many bits of kit over the years, but happy though to have you arrange the Courier Dennis.

Thanks for looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I'm sorely tempted by the whole package, if my instinct is right, that this will blow away my Linn.

Is there an overall lid cover to keep dust out?

Are you confident about safe packing and a good courier, I do not have a car?
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Gary.

Thanks Al,
    that really helps.

But yeah...as I said at the start of my post..."This is hard".
    Hear EVERYTHING that your saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Al View Post
    A few years ago I invested heavily in a vinyl playback setup after, like a lot of us, many years away. Well done

Very quickly it became apparent that I wasn't playing it anywhere near as much as I should to justify the outlay, Gaz You need to allocate time in you shedual always reverting back to the convenience of Digital, albeit with reduced sound quality. Yes I agree
    I've not been listening to vinyl much and frankly...given it's level of playback...the equipment not being used in my setup is a damn shame. Don't you just love the interaction with vinyl something to hold ,cherish , look after , care for , collect Read and be part of
    The convenience of Digital has me trapped I guess. In more than one way , Hope you have plenty of back up drives etc etc

As such - I have decided to downsize my vinyl rig. NOOOOOOOOO
    A bold move considering what I've invested in it, but honestly for the last few years it's only ever been an occasional listen for me. Again please make some time to use and appreciate what you have here , It's to DIE for

I'm not benefiting from this vinyl setup and want to pass it on to someone who will. If only

So...with regret and some wisdom gained...up for sale is what you see here. NOOOO , Think long and hard Gaz
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Dennis.

Hi Gaz, my Linn is a very basic LP12, Valhalla with RB300 and Denon DL304, I presume yours will easily outperform that.

Opinions please.

I'm Gary.

Yeah,
    it would beat your deck, no question. Sorry.

Its a top tier turntable - up there with the best imo.
    The SME V/ Michell combination has a strong reputation.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 01-08-2019 at 10:09.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Hi Gaz, my Linn is a very basic LP12, Valhalla with RB300 and Denon DL304, I presume yours will easily outperform that.

Opinions please.
    Recently visited a Linn dealer, who had an LP12 night with three of the latest machines..to be honest, I never liked the Linn tables, but on this night they where exceptionally good and with all genres of music. Saying that the system used to dem them was extreme high end. We went back to my pals and swithched his gear on and fired up his Michell Gryrodec SE... It is well ahead of the LP12's ..The Gyro dec was used with a Kontrapunkt B cart...a primare phono stage and an se version of a Musical Fidelity MS signature 35 wpc class A integrated...The speakers are Ruark Equinox..I went out and bought a Gyrodec SE and I haven't looked back...The machines my pal and I have are wonderful..I can only imagine how Good Gaz's TT is...He is meticulous with all his gear, no expense spared... so this deck will be something very special..
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm Dennis.

Hi Gaz, I have two preliminary aspects to resolve before further consideration.

My (homemade, and good), rack measures 50.5cm W, by 40.3cm D, the same plan dimensions as that of Sound Organisation stands.

Is this sufficiently large to accommodate your deck, and do you know if covers are available which will also rest within this?
    (The cylindrical corner supporting legs protrude into that area, reducing it to 45.5cm by 35.5cm at the corners.)

I'm Gary.

Hi again Dennis,

The cover I last used on the deck kept it dust free, but didn't hide the turntable away, which I liked as it looks great on my rack.
    Checked the dimensions and should be ok in your rack...assuming your sitting the deck on the top shelf?
    Dimensions are 460 × 365 × 60 mm.

Doesn't completely cover the deck, but only leaves the outer edge of the motor unit uncovered - but it protects the platter and tonearm...I could live with that.
    The traditional dustcovers for the Michell decks are really quite big, not sure one of the "fishtanks" would fit in your rack, unless its on the top shelf?

https://www.hifix.co.uk/michell-secu...waAmx8EALw_wcB

https://www.analogueseduction.net/tu...turntable.html

The Deck itself is 53 (w) x 41 (d) 21 (h) cms
    Last edited by Gazjam; 02-08-2019 at 13:04.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

Dynavector XX2 Cartridge now sold.

Price reduction on Deck and SME V arm, £3400 (Collection preferred but happy to let buyer organise Courier at their cost)

The Arm is as close to "brand new" condition as a used arm could be: ZERO marks, dings or markings, and a new SME V retails for over five grand....For the arm alone.

The V had one previous owner before me, bought from brand new, and traded in to the same dealer he bought it from, whom I picked it up from.

This is the latest specification of the tonearm.

The turntable: A1 condition, Exactly as a an Orbe bar the power supply.
    A reminder whats for Sale:

Last edited by Gazjam; 09-10-2019 at 17:21.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Grant.

quality bit of kit. heard it many times.. good price too
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm peter.

Re cover you can always convert it to a full case off michell,and lose the spiders,, Nice Gorbe gaz, well done,
    pete

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast