+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slim based routers in the real world

I'm Ian.

Default Slim based routers in the real world

Faced with 2 problems, very low broadband speeds over telephone cable or expensive upgrades to Virgin Media (my current negotiated price for VM broadband only looks to increase to £45 ish later this year)/Cable to Box services I started to think more about 4G LTE broadband routers.

I got about 25meg on my Nokia phone, havent tested my latest Honor but guess it will be the same or faster. I am thinking a dedicated SIM card router will give at least the same and Three offer unlimited Broadband for £23/month.

This comes with a basic Huawei router, but I am thinking about buying the higher spec Huawei B593 when I am next in China; for testing purposes; £45 approx. I can use my existing router as an access point if I need to improve wifi coverage etc.

Anyone gone down this route?

any problem in the real world with latency etc, video chat, VOIP, streaming HD etc etc

I'm Geoff.

I lived in Vietnam close to the Chinese border. When you had a phone installed they gave you a traditional looking phone (i.e. handset and cradle) but it was powered by a sim card rather than a wired connection. Even 10 years ago I was able to download programmes from BBC iPlayer overnight, The connection was pretty good but not quite fast enough for real time video streaming. Audio streaming was perfect.

With current 4g speeds in the UK I am sure that you will have no problems. Just make sure that there are no restrictions on tethering.

I'm Ian.

Default Slim based routers in the real world

No tethering restrictions, the supplied modem has voip blocked but third party router should sort that. Latency rather than speed is my main co cern. But thinking test with a payg sim and third party router and sell router on if it doesmt work

I'm Rich.

I've got a Vodafone 4G SIM router I never use. Not sure if it's what you are after, but If you want to give it a try to see if it works PM your address and I'll pop it in the post.

Clearaudio Emotion with Clearaudio Performer cart
    Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali
    Van Damme I/Cs and cables

I'm Ian.

Sorry for the delay in replying, internet access is a bit hit and miss with me at the moment. Your post was mega helpful thank you, Vodafone are offering 35meg for about the same price as sim card internet so for my GF that makes more sense. For me I am stuck with VM or 1meg so SIM seems to be the way to go unless I can cut a deal with VM at renewal. Testing wise though I think I need to test with a Three sim card, but many thanks for that super generous offer. Ian

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ian View Post
    Sorry for the delay in replying, internet access is a bit hit and miss with me at the moment. Your post was mega helpful thank you, Vodafone are offering 35meg for about the same price as sim card internet so for my GF that makes more sense. For me I am stuck with VM or 1meg so SIM seems to be the way to go unless I can cut a deal with VM at renewal. Testing wise though I think I need to test with a Three sim card, but many thanks for that super generous offer. Ian
    Hope you get it sorted. Good luck.

Clearaudio Emotion with Clearaudio Performer cart
    Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali
    Van Damme I/Cs and cables

I'm Ian.

My VM has been down since the early hours of Thursday, so am 100% going to try this now. Tethering the pc via the phone worked but my old router would tether direct. Also seen some of the network supplied routers have voip blocked. Just need to find a suitable router and low cost 30 day test sim

I'm Grant.

i used to use an old 3g one and just bought sims when i needed them. havent used it for a while tho. Usually got about 5/6 mb with it which was ok. Im fibre to box now and its fairly good and reliable, plus i dont go out so much now. phone sim gives me a fair whack every month if i need it anyway.4/5 gb i think, not that it gets used much.
    The new 4g mobile bb routers that are unlocked are pretty decent so im told
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Ian.

I can only get 1meg via the phone line despite it having fibre to cabinet so a 4g lte modem or VM are my only real choices. I think speed over 4g will be fine but latency might give a problem. Think the only option is a 30 day test before I cancel VM

I'm Grant.

how far is the cabinet?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast