+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello fellow audio enthusiasts!

I'm Peter.

Default Hello fellow audio enthusiasts!

I have had an abiding interest in high quality audio reproduction since working for a manufacturer of professional recording equipment in the 1960’s. Although my ears aren’t what they were, I enjoy music (as opposed to listening to hifi) more than ever. My music collection is quite varied, jazz, classical and modern although I probably spend more time listening to small scale classical than anything else. My principal equipment is Arcam A37 CD/SACD, recently acquired Arcam A49 Amp (which I have sworn I will never part with) and KEF Reference 5 loudspeakers (ditto) which are just sublime to my ears and the people at KEF are so lovely! I also have streaming facilities as I rip to flac on my NAS which we really only use as a convenience for non serious listening around the house.
    That’s me then, hope I didn’t witter on too much, we old blokes tend to do that!

I'm Shane.

Howdy! Welcome to AOS.

Have fun.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Peter.

Always glad to welcome someone who has worked on the professional side of things. Are you able to mention the company you worked for, and what they made?

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Welcome to AoS Peter. Great introduction, hope you enjoy the forum.

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Martin.

Hi Peter, welcome to AoS.

KEF Reference 5 loudspeakers - Tasty!
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Hello Peter. Welcome to AOS.

I'm sure you'll find plenty to interest you here, it's a friendly place and there's a lot going on, so just join in the chat.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Welcome to AoS Peter.

Always glad to welcome someone who has worked on the professional side of things. Are you able to mention the company you worked for, and what they made?

Enjoy the Forum

Barry
    Hi Barry, the company was Ampex. At the time (mid 60’s) they made pro audio and video recorders as well as instrumentation recorders and large computer tape mechanisms. The best sounding audio recorder we made was the Model 351 which used vacuum tubes. Anyone who doesn’t know the name may enjoy Googling Ampex as they have a rich and interesting history!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by SwindonOldBloke View Post
    Hi Barry, the company was Ampex. At the time (mid 60’s) they made pro audio and video recorders as well as instrumentation recorders and large computer tape mechanisms. The best sounding audio recorder we made was the Model 351 which used vacuum tubes. Anyone who doesn’t know the name may enjoy Googling Ampex as they have a rich and interesting history!
    Ampex - wow! Yes, I have certainly heard of them: both the recorders and the tape stock are well known. What are Ampex up to these days - are they still in business?
    Barry

I'm Peter.

It’s a very different company today from the one I worked for. (Ampex.com)

I'm Leo.

+ Reply to Thread