+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: ALLO SHANTI Linear Power Supply (LPS) Review

I'm Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by jonners View Post
    It's not available in the UK afaik. The new Nirvana SMPS will give 2.85A at 5V. Available from the Allo website, EU shipping.
    Thanks, yes I have just seen the Nirvana mentioned elsewhere, it is around £70 which is not too bad. Size is another benefit.

It seems to be a SMPS and not a LPS. Only been out a month, only seen one review from a user which was positive compared to an iFi.

2.85A should be enough for what I'm using, apparently 2A is adequate.
    Last edited by StingRay; 08-07-2020 at 09:42.

I'm Andrew.

While the Shanti is not available in the UK it can be ordered directly from Allo or Max2play and Audiophonics both stock the Shanti socan sell it directly to you in the EU (at least to the end of the year) .

I would also like to ask Allo who have added to this thread if they have done any work on using the Pi 4 in paticular the Pi 4 8gb unit as I have changed over to this in a straight Pi set up using Max2play and the Pi 8gb as a stand alone music streamer . The difference is sound quality from the Pi 4 4gb to the Pi 4 8 gb is quite a bit the 8gb sounding more natural larger sound stage and more textured bass . Voices using my active system are more like those that I get form my Quad ESL57 which means they are closer to the real sound a voice makes. Would be interested if you have tried what you think and can you offer any explanation as to why the 8 gb sounds so much better .
    Last edited by Bencat; 15-07-2020 at 10:43. Reason: second thoughts

I'm Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by Bencat View Post
    While the Shanti is not available in the UK it can be ordered directly from Allo or Max2play and Audiophonics both stock the Shanti socan sell it directly to you in the EU (at least to the end of the year) .

I would also like to ask Allo who have added to this thread if they have done any work on using the Pi 4 in paticular the Pi 4 8gb unit as I have changed over to this in a straight Pi set up using Max2play and the Pi 8gb as a stand alone music streamer . The difference is sound quality from the Pi 4 4gb to the Pi 4 8 gb is quite a bit the 8gb sounding more natural larger sound stage and more textured bass . Voices using my active system are more like those that I get form my Quad ESL57 which means they are closer to the real sound a voice makes. Would be interested if you have tried what you think and can you offer any explanation as to why the 8 gb sounds so much better .
    Yes thanks, I was aware you can order from Audiophonics pity they don't have a UK outlet though, would probably increase their sales.

Re the Nirvana, wondering if Allo had some figures they could share with us compared to the Allo LPS?
    Last edited by StingRay; 18-07-2020 at 10:17.

I'm Josie.

I'll ask Ioan for you unless he sees this first.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm allo.

Hi , Nirvana smps and Shanti lps have both noise below 1uV (data is available on product page) but I think that what differentiates them is the massive capacitance available on Shanti . To my ears Shanti sounds better

I'm Ray.

I'm still considering various LPS options. I have just ordered a 5V DC interface for my Bluesound Node 2 which should arrive next week.

Does anyone know of any reviews or has anyone compared the Allo Shanti and the Sbooster?

On the WAM there was a bakeoff between various PSU using the Bluesound Node 2i as source, a Chinese cheap LPSU did pretty well, not far behind the Sbooster.

Unfortunately the Allo was not tested.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
    I'm still considering various LPS options. I have just ordered a 5V DC interface for my Bluesound Node 2 which should arrive next week.

Does anyone know of any reviews or has anyone compared the Allo Shanti and the Sbooster?

On the WAM there was a bakeoff between various PSU using the Bluesound Node 2i as source, a Chinese cheap LPSU did pretty well, not far behind the Sbooster.

I was very much hoping that the Wam bakeoff was going to include an Allo as well, but it was not to be.

I have been very pleased with my Allo and Node 2, but I do wonder if the Sbooster is another step up the hifi ladder.

One of the guys on the Wam thread said that he had found a dealer who was going to lend him a Sbooster to do a home demo.

I wonder if the dealer would be willing to do that for me?

I'm Ray.

Since the test, a Allo Shanti was bought and it compares very favourably with the SBooster. After trying a cheap Chinese LPS which did not work, I have ordered a Shanti which is on it's way from France, should be here in a few days, I will update this thread after I have used for a while.

I'm Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam D View Post
    I was very much hoping that the Wam bakeoff was going to include an Allo as well, but it was not to be.

I have been very pleased with my Allo and Node 2, but I do wonder if the Sbooster is another step up the hifi ladder.

One of the guys on the Wam thread said that he had found a dealer who was going to lend him a Sbooster to do a home demo.

I wonder if the dealer would be willing to do that for me?
    See the update re the Allo Shanti. I think Fanthorpes will do a loan or trial of the SBooster but it seems it is no better.

I'm Bill.

Thanks, yes I have just seen the Nirvana mentioned elsewhere, it is around £70 which is not too bad. Size is another benefit.

It seems to be a SMPS and not a LPS. Only been out a month, only seen one review from a user which was positive compared to an iFi.

2.85A should be enough for what I'm using, apparently 2A is adequate.
    I've just bought a secondhand Nirvana to power my Raspberry Pi / Allo Boss DAC and can confirm it sounds bloody marvelous!
    Chord Mojo / Sennheiser HD600

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast