+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arm and Phono Stage advice

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by glenann View Post
    Funnily enough I saw that combo with the Audiomods on Pinterest! Looked nice with the AM on it...
    Well thankyou!

The Audiomods was a nice aesthetic match as the platter rim and arm were both highly polished. Sonically, the Audiomods was a good match for the Denon (304/DL-S1) and AT (33PTG) that I was using at the time. The arm was light enough to allow proper suspension levelling too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Wayne.

Could you recommend a phono stage that works well with the Hana, considering it's need for a load greater than 400ohm's.
    It might not be as straightforward as that I'm afraid.

In my current set up the Hana SL sounds best at 100-125 ohm load rather than the typical 10x formula of >400 ohms. I can put this down partly to the capacitance of the tonearm cables on the Bergmann and also perhaps the way that my MC head amp work and outputs into Valab phono set at 47k.

So in otherwords the choice of tonearm and associated cable could affect the choice of phono stage. What's your budget btw?

I'm Charlie.

Your lovely armboard is cut for a SME. So your options are

a) get a tonearm which can be mounted on a SME cutout (either directly or with an adapter plate)

New SME M2-9R - lovely but very expensive now; Hadcock 228 with a Hadcock SME adapter plate; another tonearm with an adapter plate made by Speedy Steve at Magna Audio

b) source a new armboard in a wood to match your lovely plinth (might be tricky to get a decent match on grain and colour)
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    Your lovely armboard is cut for a SME. So your options are

a) get a tonearm which can be mounted on a SME cutout (either directly or with an adapter plate)

New SME M2-9R - lovely but very expensive now; Hadcock 228 with a Hadcock SME adapter plate; another tonearm with an adapter plate made by Speedy Steve at Magna Audio

b) source a new armboard in a wood to match your lovely plinth (might be tricky to get a decent match on grain and colour)
    Spot on about the arm board Doc, the 774 will fit on that perfectly and you'll be able to get excellent setup accurately too as it adjusts in every direction.

Looking at £250 for the arm as a rough guide but it's light enough to not cause any issues and the damping trough can be used if you think it need it. I has the damping rod just scraping the surface and felt it was excellent.

I'm Patrick.

I'd second the Mission 774 idea. Great arm at around £250.

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    ... Hadcock 228 with a Hadcock SME adapter plate;
    I've just bought a Hadcock 242 to use with the Sony TTS 8000 and a Decca C4e so I'd be interested in any info on the Hadcock SME adapter plate. It's listed on the British Audio Products site but without a picture, and I know that Hadcock parts are hard to get at the moment. I was thinking of getting a generic Ortofon SME adapter and getting a bush made to step the hole size down from 20 to 16mm, but a ready made solution would be less agro.

I'm Nari.

If it were mine and on a fairly restricted budget a Alphason hr100ms or the xenon mcs lovely tonearms I personally prefer them to the mission 774, and heard one with the hana. I like the zeta too but a bit more tricky to buy a nice one the Mission Mechanic is a lovely arm but rare these days. If I had a bit more then certainly the Sme m9r is a nice tonearm indeed. The Alphason is very enjoyable and if one can find one great value.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrajbasi View Post
    If it were mine and on a fairly restricted budget a Alphason hr100ms or the xenon mcs lovely tonearms I personally prefer them to the mission 774, and heard one with the hana. I like the zeta too but a bit more tricky to buy a nice one the Mission Mechanic is a lovely arm but rare these days. If I had a bit more then certainly the Sme m9r is a nice tonearm indeed. The Alphason is very enjoyable and if one can find one great value.
    ive owned all those arms except the very rare mechanic,all of them bettered the 774 which ive also owned (3).
    but for value for money you cant beat the 774 at approx £250-£400 it much cheaper than £600 upwards the others command if and when one of them comes up for sale.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm phil.

Mission mechanic rare these days easier to find rocking horse @#£&
    I use the hana on a ol encounter
    Modded td160 super Thorens ol encounter arm hana sl cart, angle audio studio pro mc virtual battery phono amp with separate psi, Onix pre and mono amps, Onix CD player, Onix BWD and soap tuner. B&W dm2 speakers or super pencil 12 speakers, atlas cables, seperate mains power supply with earth spike.

I'm Steve.

I've just become the proud owner of this beauty..

I recently won a Hana SL in a competition. So now I have a couple of questions that you good people might help me with please? Could you recommend a phono stage that works well with the Hana, considering it's need for a load greater than 400ohm's. I need to keep the price reasonable and I did think of the Mo-Fi Studio Phono. Does anyone have any experience of this stage?
    Also, I have a RB250 on an old Planar 2 that a friend has given me. I'm not sure if the arm is fully ok, as there is some lateral play at the base end of the arm. Therefore, what would you consider? I did think of the Origin Live Onyx, but then I've seen the Audiomods Series 6 arm and the juices are flowing! Anyway, any thoughts would be really appreciated.

Many thanks
    That sir is fookin gorgeous

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
    I'd second the Mission 774 idea. Great arm at around £250.

I've just bought a Hadcock 242 to use with the Sony TTS 8000 and a Decca C4e so I'd be interested in any info on the Hadcock SME adapter plate. It's listed on the British Audio Products site but without a picture, and I know that Hadcock parts are hard to get at the moment. I was thinking of getting a generic Ortofon SME adapter and getting a bush made to step the hole size down from 20 to 16mm, but a ready made solution would be less agro.
    The Hadcock SME plate is a flat metal plate with 4 screw holes for the SME mount along with a 16.25 mm slot cut to mount the Hadcock spindle.

R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast