+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arm and Phono Stage advice

I'm Glen.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsondonkey View Post
    So in otherwords the choice of tonearm and associated cable could affect the choice of phono stage. What's your budget btw?
    Well I mentioned the Mo-Fi Studio Phono which is £299 I believe. Not a great deal of money but the circuits a Tim de Paravicini design.. apparently.

I'm Glen.

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    b) source a new armboard in a wood to match your lovely plinth (might be tricky to get a decent match on grain and colour)
    The TT did come with another Ebony armboard (see pics below). It's a Rega one, which has the holes for the newer three point fixing and I suppose it'll fit the older type too? The 774 does seem to be a nice option though and the price is on it's side. I was leaning toward the Audiomods Series6, but it's a whole lot more cash...

I'm Glen.

Another couple of pics. One with it's acrylic cover

These are the two additional armboards

The plinth was made for Oldius (Geoff) by Russ Collinson of Layers of Beauty. He's not far from me in sunny Barnsley!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by glenann View Post
    Well I mentioned the Mo-Fi Studio Phono which is £299 I believe. Not a great deal of money but the circuits a Tim de Paravicini design.. apparently.
    It may be a TDP designed circuit but if its that good, why not use it himself?

What's your budget?

I'm Glen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    It may be a TDP designed circuit but if its that good, why not use it himself?

What's your budget?
    Well if I bought a S/H arm like the 774, then that may free up a little more for the Stage. Funds are tighter than Silas Marner at the moment, but could get nearer £500ish..

I'm mark.

I’ve got an Audio Technica at 1130 sat idle. It has sme type base but stp of 225mm (from memory). I’ve fitted it to the same mount as I use for SME iv but at the back of the slot. Pm if interested, it’s light weight so that may influence cart choice. Been a while since I’ve had a 774 so can’t comment on comparison, it did make me scratch my head a bit vs SME when you consider the price difference, it’s certainly better but at a cost !

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    The Hadcock SME plate is a flat metal plate with 4 screw holes for the SME mount along with a 16.25 mm slot cut to mount the Hadcock spindle.
    Thanks Charlie.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by oldius View Post
    I used this very deck with an OL Conqueror and an Audiomods IV. The former is a super arm but too heavy for the deck suspension. The latter was a brilliant match.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Best arm I had on this (very) deck was an Audio Note Arm 3, which beat all-comers by a clear margin. Pricey, though.

I'm steve.

Default Arm and Phono Stage advice

With regard to a MC phono stage have you considered the new Rega Fono MC, it has 2 gain settings, 4 different impedance loading and 2 capacitance settings as well so plenty of scope for tuning to the cartridge. I had one on loan for a few days from my local Rega dealer and found the SQ to be excellent, I was definitely going to buy one but was scuppered when my central heating boiler expired and that had to be the priority for all my available cash. I finished up buying the cheaper Cambridge CP2 a couple of months later, it’s good sounding but the Rega was better. I think you’d be hard pressed to beat it for £250.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Glen.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    With regard to a MC phono stage have you considered the new Rega Fono MC, it has 2 gain settings, 4 different impedance loading and 2 capacitance settings as well so plenty of scope for tuning to the cartridge. I had one on loan for a few days from my local Rega dealer and found the SQ to be excellent, I was definitely going to buy one but was scuppered when my central heating boiler expired and that had to be the priority for all my available cash. I finished up buying the cheaper Cambridge CP2 a couple of months later, it’s good sounding but the Rega was better. I think you’d be hard pressed to beat it for £250.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I didn’t know about the Rega, thanks Steve! Seems like a solid and well priced product. I’ll give my local Rega dealer a call..
    Cheers buddy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast