+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Arm and Phono Stage advice

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    Best arm I had on this (very) deck was an Audio Note Arm 3, which beat all-comers by a clear margin. Pricey, though.
    I would agree with these Audio Note arms, Arm3 (wired with AN-Vx) is superb, I used one on a Voyd with an AN Io, but pick of the bunch in terms of value for money with its AN-V silver litz internal and external cable is the Arm2. But even the Arm1 (copper litz) is a great performer and should outperform vintage arms like the 774 by quite a margin, without the risk/variability you get from old gear where if you end up with a clunker then it's not worth fixing. Recommendation for one of the Alphasons is a good spot, you can still pick up a Xenon for sensible money but again, always the risk (though perhaps more worth spending money on in my view).

M2-9R as recommended would be absolutely lovely but the prices have indeed got a bit silly.

All in all I reckon the Audio Note recomendation is the winner here. Rega geometry too so very easy to accommodate.

I would say though, pick an arm and think about arm board afterwards, various people will do them.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I would agree with these Audio Note arms, Arm3 (wired with AN-Vx) is superb, I used one on a Voyd with an AN Io, but pick of the bunch in terms of value for money with its AN-V silver litz internal and external cable is the Arm2. But even the Arm1 (copper litz) is a great performer and should outperform vintage arms like the 774 by quite a margin, without the risk/variability you get from old gear where if you end up with a clunker then it's not worth fixing. Recommendation for one of the Alphasons is a good spot, you can still pick up a Xenon for sensible money but again, always the risk (though perhaps more worth spending money on in my view).

M2-9R as recommended would be absolutely lovely but the prices have indeed got a bit silly.

All in all I reckon the Audio Note recomendation is the winner here. Rega geometry too so very easy to accommodate.

I would say though, pick an arm and think about arm board afterwards, various people will do them.
    I would tend to agree with all of that.

From a purely aesthetic point of view, either the Audio Note arms or a chrome finish modern SME would look perfect mounted on that beautiful TD125 and plinth (I hate to say it but a Mission 774, for all its SQ attributes, just looks awful to my eyes) and provide a very good platform to carry any of today's cartridges.

It's a shame SME seem to be pricing themselves out of the market, though no doubt there is a reason why they have increased their prices so dramatically.
    Barry

I'm Chip.

If you have the budget spring for the Audiomods Series 6. Very happy with mine.

I'm Kenji.

OP, I'm curious what you ended up putting on your 125?
    I recently put a Grace G707 on a beat up old Mission 775LC, and it sounds so good, I want to try putting it on my TD160. Except I'm not crazy about having to grind some of the subplatter away, which is apparently necessary for mounting a Rega RB300 (which I am also considering cannibalizing from a Planar 3 that just can't keep steady speed).

If you have mounted an arm, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234