+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Power Amp

I'm Andy.

Default New Power Amp

End of last week bought the Burston Bang off of Bigman80 which arrived today.
    So tonight plumb it in and listening to some choons.
    So far impressed with what is coming out of my speakers.

Just need to lower the gain as the preamp volume control would normally be pointing at 9 o'clock for a reasonable noise it now needs to be it around 8 o'clock with just before 7 o'clock being no sound!!

A pic of it lost in the rack with one of the kittens enjoying the choons with me

Main system:

Digital.
    Philips DCC 730
    Technics SL-PJ28A CD Player
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. AudioNote Arm 1 V2. Goldring Elite MC and Firebottle OTP MKII Phono Amp
    Lenco L75 in Birch ply plinth. Linn Basik Plus. A&R P77 cart (Paratrace by Expert) VSPC MM Phono Amp
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus IQAudio DAC+ (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Amp.
    Burson Bang V6 Classic (Pure Sound A30 going into storage soon)
    Speakers
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.
    Sennheiser HD545 Ref, HD600, HD477
    Headphone Amp
    Myryad Z40 (also used as a pre amp)
    Backup Speakers.
    Heybrook HB1, TDL RTL2, Some home made concoction...
    Backup Amps
    Audiolab 8000a, Armstrong something or other, Amstrad Quadraphonic something or other, home built EL34 power amps.....

I'm Oliver.

I'll be honest, that ampifier is far better than anyone will give it credit for.

It's got no grain or harshness and it's actually pretty sweet sounding.

I was very impressed with it and I'm pleased you're enjoying it. You'd struggled to better one of these with the V6 opamp for 250.

Personal opinion as always.
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK6 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Bigbottle Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves)
    Digital: Raspberry Pi 3+/Allo Boss 1.2/Isolator 1.3 & Firebottle LPSU with Volumio & JRiver
    Amplification: Nelson Pass Derived DCB1 with Khozmo 48 Step Series Attenuator & Neurochrome Modulus 686 Amplifier
    Cables: SPOTFIRE Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables & SPOTFIRE Tonearm cable
    Speakers: Pioneer CS-77A

Price List For SPOTFIRE Cables here:https://bit.ly/2Uxiv3j

Alternative reading: http://www.audioaddictsforum.com

I'm Andy.

Had a few amps over the years and have to say, so far impressed with this one.

What shall I do with the valve amp now - storage or sell????
    Main system:

Digital.
    Philips DCC 730
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. AudioNote Arm 1 V2. Goldring Elite MC and Firebottle OTP MKII Phono Amp
    Lenco L75 in Birch ply plinth. Linn Basik Plus. A&R P77 cart (Paratrace by Expert) VSPC MM Phono Amp
    Network Player.
    Amp.
    Speakers
    HeadPhones.
    Headphone Amp
    Backup Speakers.
    Backup Amps
    Audiolab 8000a, Armstrong something or other, Amstrad Quadraphonic something or other, home built EL34 power amps.....

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by gninnam View Post

Use it in the winter and your green credentials will remain intact.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Phil.

keep it so you can compare sounds in the future
    1]bel canto pre 3 vbs /, /rotel cd/ bel canto fm1
    sonos, . tannoy eaton legacy 2]arcam a75 marantz sa8005 jolida modwright dac and RFC impulse ta`us , track audio stands

I'm Andy.

True !!
    Main system:

Digital.
    Philips DCC 730
    Analogue.
    Network Player.
    Amp.
    Speakers
    HeadPhones.
    Headphone Amp
    Backup Speakers.
    Backup Amps

I'm Oliver.

If the Burson is doing the stuff you lke and you can't see yourself going back, flog the valve amp.

Don''t be concerned about the lack of "prestige" (im sure you aren't) because its a class act, it just is under the radar atm. For the money they really are a steal
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK6 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Bigbottle Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves)
    Digital: Raspberry Pi 3+/Allo Boss 1.2/Isolator 1.3 & Firebottle LPSU with Volumio & JRiver
    Amplification: Nelson Pass Derived DCB1 with Khozmo 48 Step Series Attenuator & Neurochrome Modulus 686 Amplifier

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    If the Burson is doing the stuff you lke and you can't see yourself going back, flog the valve amp.

Don''t be concerned about the lack of "prestige" (im sure you aren't) because its a class act, it just is under the radar atm. For the money they really are a steal
    I think I will put the valve amp in storage for a while (will need to change the rack as designed around the valve amp) and use the Burson for a few months.
    When winter comes round, put the valve amp back in and enjoy the extra warmth

Just using the passive pre-amp that Oli bundled in and apart from some hum (suspect earth issue somewhere) does sound very nice (great tone using CD's).
    Main system:

Digital.
    Philips DCC 730
    Analogue.
    Network Player.
    Amp.
    Speakers
    HeadPhones.
    Headphone Amp
    Backup Speakers.
    Backup Amps

I'm Oliver.

I think I will put the valve amp in storage for a while (will need to change the rack as designed around the valve amp) and use the Burson for a few months.
    When winter comes round, put the valve amp back in and enjoy the extra warmth

Just using the passive pre-amp that Oli bundled in and apart from some hum (suspect earth issue somewhere) does sound very nice (great tone using CD's).
    Hum? How strange. I've been using that combo on and off for months in the garage and never had a problem. That was via CD too.

Strange.

I'm Andy.

If I touch the chassis or volume control it gets louder.
    If I touch the chassis' of both the pre and power amps at the same time - no noise.

The cables I use are very tight when pushed in and thought I would check them. Noticed that when I tried to move one of them the RCA female socket in the pre amp moved so could just be that?

No biggy as you chucked it in for free
    Main system:

Digital.
    Philips DCC 730
    Analogue.
    Network Player.
    Amp.
    Speakers
    HeadPhones.
    Headphone Amp
    Backup Speakers.
    Backup Amps

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast