+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Justin's (not Jerry's, mind) Hi-Fi Blog

I'm Justin.

Next job is to hook the 211 monos onto the Apogee MRTs and the Luxman power onto Apogee bass.

Never had a pre that can volume match two outputs and nor have I tried that combo before.

Thanks Grant. Must clean up that mess of triodes and rectifiers on the floor. Hardly any point, though, it just builds up again

Bigman80 Guest

Superb looking rack of HI End Jap goodness.

Congratulations.

I'm Justin.

It'd be tough to sell the Accuphase they just look right there. Plus they do have some pretty commendable attributes when you basically get bored of a certain type of presentation.

So they may not be for sale. I just feel I should dump some kit, though.

I'm Phil.

i had a text off a bloke interested in my power amp who was waiting for a repair to his luxman power amp , wonder if it found its way to emporium !!
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    i had a text off a bloke interested in my power amp who was waiting for a repair to his luxman power amp , wonder if it found its way to emporium !!
    Nah mine's a preamp if that's what your implying. But if not who knows?

It does seem that $32,000 worth of Luxman when new (not that it is worth anything like that now) can drive a pair of Apogee Duettas, though, just about better than anything else I have tried.

Emporium are a little bit dodgy if you ask me. I evaluated them to be so before I bought the preamp. I just took a risk.

Let's see how they respond to my nudge.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Emporium are a little bit dodgy if you ask me. I evaluated them to be so before I bought the preamp. I just took a risk.
    I've had some great gear from them, they do get interesting kit in and prices are often reasonable for a dealer - but they can be a bit too relaxed about checking/testing before they sell. They do sort things out, but it can be a bit of a hassle sometimes.
    I'd happily use them again.

I'm Justin.

They actually didn't reply to my query.

But to be frank I don't care. Because I have just fixed it.

Both the volume control and input select are held on by friction. It's done this way to avoid a fixing screw in the knob.

Just pulling off the input select reveals a nut as below. Tighten it and problem fixed!

Emporium tip. They advertise with fixed price. But they will accept offers via PM. I saved quite a bit that way.

With the input select switch totally fixed I am actually very, very happy with this preamp. It surprisingly for me sounds great. Better than my valve preamp. Obviously it is a fabulous match for the power amp.

I have never come across a solid state, passive or valve pre that sounds this good in my system. Really. And not just because it is new kit and I have just got it. I can see through that these days.

Now do I need another M-800A?
    Last edited by User211; 13-10-2019 at 13:20.

I'm Grant.

Great news Justin. Happy ending
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Good news Justin.

Apropos Emporium, I would be weary of using them. I bought a TT from them which was not quite as described. It had been 'modified' and needed the switch spark suppressor replacing. Also they charge top dollar for any old cack (especially if it is old and desirable, such as vintage valve amps), though I didn't know one could make an offer by PM. On the few occasions I have talked to them on the phone, they haven't been particularly helpful.
    Barry

I'm Justin.

Just check their feedback. It isn't great.

I am of the belief that eBay feedback less than 97% is definitely dodgy. The true figure is worse if you ask me. People are very reluctant to post negative feedback.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast