+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Justin's (not Jerry's, mind) Hi-Fi Blog

I'm Justin.

Default Justin's (not Jerry's, mind) Hi-Fi Blog

Anti-gravity devices arrived a few days ago.

Boing!

I figured I'd put them under my DAC.

I'm Justin.

So here they are, under the DAC.

The triodes are EML AD1 with UX4 bases.

They do sound amazing, but they are microphonic. Hell you can hear the filaments ring when you plug them in the DAC.

So I thought some extra isolation might help.

I'm Justin.

So I suspended the DAC on them.

I then tapped the table with no music playing and the volume cranked up.

A substantial ring came through the speakers.

I took them out and left the DAC on the stock rubber feet.

Did the same test.

A much less loud ring came through the speakers.

Oh dear. The rubber feet provide provide better isolation than the mag lev feet!!! I actually expected they might and I will say why.

Thinking laterally, I put the mag lev feet under the rubber feet.

This looks really cool, I thought.

Did the tap test. About the same level of ringing as the rubber feet.

So no better, really.

I'm just going to keep them because I like the look.

The problem with the design seems to be the thin shaft. It makes contact with the upper half. So whilst the DAC is suspended by neodymium magnets for the most part, vibration from the table simply travels up the thin shaft into the outer body and thence the DAC's body.

Isolation fail.

These were reviewed by Hi-Fi Pig where I feel they talked pork.

I'm Martin.

I think springs have more linear damping response, however a knock on the table is somewhat extreme of a challenge.

Have you tried listening to them just playing music in your system ?

Also as i read in the link on Jerry’s blog I think you need to experiment with positioning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Justin.

Yeah I did move them around a bit. No difference to the tap test.

I think it is a very reasonable test.

You may question why I think the AD1 triodes sound so good when they are microphonic. Well, I have had microphonic valves in the past that don't sound so great.

The AD1 does sound great - really alive and wonderfully fleshed out and full sounding things. Obviously the microphony must be providing a euphonic colouration in this case.

So considering the amateur but very effective seismic physics test, I don't believe the overall sound with the mag lev feet can be better. Yet somehow I think it is a smidge better. But I keep telling myself that's delusional. Because I really think it must be.

If it is better it's by a tiny, fractional amount.

I'm James.

Hey Justin have you thought of a roller shelf like the one I have under my preamp. These are sold by Steve Hitch at Sonority design.
    http://www.sonoritydesign.co.uk

They are very effective at reducing microphonics and feedback in valves as I have found with my preamp which is stuffed with valves.

[IMG]P1000206 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/162281319@N03/]lickr[/IMG]

The bearings in cups are not ceramic or steel but some sort of advanced formula Steve has sourced. The platforms can be used under anything including massive speakers. Steve has all his gear on them but they are particularly good under sensitive electronics especially valve equipment.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Justin.

Hi Jim I will read the HiFi+ review and consider it.

Tis a bit of a shame about the mag lev feet seem so ineffective. Exactly the flaw I thought they may have actually turned out to be the case but I just had to try them in case something clever was going on.
    Last edited by User211; 22-07-2019 at 21:49.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Hi Jim I will read the HiFi+ review and consider it.

Tis a bit of a shame about the mag lev feet seem so ineffective. Exactly the flaw I thought they may have actually turned out to be the case but I just had to try them in case something clever was going on.
    You have to try these things as you never know what they can achieve unless you use them in your own system. AT least you can use the nice tin for biscuits!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm David.

Have you thought about those spring isolators Jandl purchased, I purchased a set to use under a tt that I am now selling. I haven't been able to try them under anything else yet, but will do in the near future.

I'm Justin.

Yeah I did. But I decided they looked a little unacceptable as I'd be staring at them all the time and I'd rather try these. I might return them you have 14 days to do so.

But I really do like the look of them and the concept is admirable if only it worked!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast