+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Justin's (not Jerry's, mind) Hi-Fi Blog

I'm Justin.

Last night's amp insanity session.

211 monos on the MRT and Luxman in the bass.

This sounded much better than expected i.e. really good. Far better blending than I have encountered this far trying solid state / valve combos.

What's more I am using £3 for 10m Homebase speaker cable between the monos and MRT drivers. Really. Just to try it. I had thrown some old speaker cable out a while ago which was a mistake.

Not cheap to run and it's certainly not going to save the planet.

I'm Justin.

Homebase Reference.

You know you need it

I'm Justin.

OK so a few notes on the Luxman preamp.

1) The volume control is 73 step discrete jobbie. It is always completely silent in operation and very precisely responsive to the remote control. It is obviously excellent.

2) Bi-amped with the 211s on the mid range/ treble ribbon, which is from around 500Hz up, I can control the volume relative to the Luxman power amp on the bass panels by +/6 DB on both ribbons. This is good.

3) Very mid range heavy material can be pulled right back easily for a warmer sound. But also channel balance can be done where it counts leaving the bass output exactly the same on both channels.

4) When using the Luxman power amp I can choose to use the balanced or single ended connections between the preamp and power amp. Despite using very different cables - Nordost Red Dawn with Eichmann's for single ended or some nice balanced IC I got from Open Door on this forum for £40 I am COMPLETELY unable to hear volume change or even be vaguely able to tell the difference in sound quality. Whilst flipping I really tried but I knew when I thought I could I was fooling myself. This seriously surprised me.

5) The display is way too small from 12 ft away.

6) Build quality is excellent. If it fails within 30 years I'd be surprised. Give or take a lose nut LOL.

7) It has excellent relays in it, as does the power amp. Turn it on and the relays clicks are so loud it brings a smile to my face. No clicks through the speakers just from the relays. It also reminds me of my Accuphase M-60 monos, which also contain insane relays that I am sure have been working without issue since 1975. Maybe it is a high end Japanese thing. Loud relays. Mandatory

There will be better preamps in the world but this one is good for the money especially for what I paid for it.

FWIW it's an RJ11 connector not an RJ45 between pre and power as stated above.

I'm Justin.

I went back to just the Luxman power. Definitely not as good as the bi-amp option described above.

Next experiment...

Accuphase monos on bass, Luxman on the MRTs.

Watch this space if you're even vaguely interested....

If you ask me, I don't think it'll be as good. But until you try...

I'm Grant.

A lot of power on those speakers now lol
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Justin.

As the speaker sees it definitely less than just the Accuphase alone. By a lot.

But this just sounds easier.

Much more power from the mains overall, though.

Maybe the right electrons just need to make it through.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678