+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bbc type speakers

I'm peter.

Default Bbc type speakers

Hi,
    Has anyone compared rogers ls3/6, rogers export monitors, rogers studio 1 spendor bc1, and how do you think they compare
    with each other,
    Regards, Peter

I'm Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by trevisan22 View Post
    Hi,
    Has anyone compared rogers ls3/6, rogers export monitors, rogers studio 1 spendor bc1, and how do you think they compare
    with each other,
    Regards, Peter
    Peter, all speakers are a collection of compromises.
    Each of the models you mention has its plusses and minuses.
    You would need to listen and decide which model works for you...

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn Miles View Post
    Peter, all speakers are a collection of compromises.
    Each of the models you mention has its plusses and minuses.
    You would need to listen and decide which model works for you...
    Its quite hard to audition 4 models of speaker that are out of production in a reasonable timeframe to draw comparisons though Martyn.

Have you any experience with any of those models and if so what were their strengths and comparative weaknesses ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

I've heard the BC1s and at least one pair of similar vintage Rogers with the supertweeter, I forget the exact model. One thing I took away is that I rather liked my B&W DM2As that I had and wasn't sure the others offered anything objectively better. The B&Ws had a natural flow aided by the 1/4 wave TL while the others may have had strengths in other areas. I decided that for the relatively cheap price they went for relative to the truer BBC style monitors, the B&Ws had the edge.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Martyn.

[QUOTE=Discopants;1109212]It’s quite hard to audition 4 models of speaker that are out of production in a reasonable timeframe to draw comparisons though Martyn.

Have you any experience with any of those models and if so what were their strengths and comparative weaknesses ?

You have a point.
    For what it’s worth, someone whose ears I trust said he liked the LS3/6 for its midrange. He also told me it was a rather ‘fragile’ speaker in power handling terms.
    The Export Monitor used a more robust bass/mid. driver ( Dalesford, I believe ) but the midrange wasn’t as good as the LS3/6.
    I understand the Rogers Studio 1 had a Bextrene bass/mid. with a Celestion HF1300 tweeter plus a dome tweeter.
    My main experience is with Spendor BC1s. I have owned them since 1976.
    They’re my absolute favourite speaker and I’d never sell them...

I'm Graham.

I have only heard the stirling broadcast (not graham audio as originally stated) ls3/6 but have owned studio 1 and heard the others. The export monitor was supplied with the ls 3/6 style crossover. The bass driver of the studio 1 is more robust cast item produced in house by swisstone. The pressed metal dalesford unit has a much lower power handling. From the front they look identical, from.the rear the baskets are easy to distinguish.
    The studio 1 and export monitor sound very similar, I was lucky to hear them only an hour apart. The BC1 is a little looser than the slightly more measured studio 1/export monitor and it has the edge in the midrange. Power handling of the studio 1 is higher and it likes a fair bit of current. The bass is very similar too, plummy but not overly extended and with a slight tubby quality.
    They excel in the.midrange, and are lovely for speech and vocals, acoustic etc. Listening to bbc4 via these speakers is sublime.
    However they are no rockers, as they are too restrained and harden and compress.

I suspect if you like one of these you will like the others, so if buying, choose on condition as QC in this era was not a strongpoint.
    Be aware the heavy bextrene drivers can sag with age which will require new surrounds or some spare drivers.

For a cheaper and.less complex option, look.out for first generation soft dome tweeter Rogers LS7 or LS6. Not quite as revealing or BBC ish but neither as obviously coloured.

I had Studio 1 and LS6 but kept the LS6 as they are easier to drive and less to go wrong. LS6/7 is still excellent value second hand.
    Last edited by graham67; 27-07-2019 at 22:56.

I'm Martyn.

I didn’t know Graham Audio made the LS3/6.
    I understood it was Stirling Broadcast.

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn Miles View Post
    I didn’t know Graham Audio made the LS3/6.
    I understood it was Stirling Broadcast.
    Martyn, you are absolutely right. Many apologies, it is stirling broadcast. I listened to these, the export monitors and studio 1 in a short period. Despite all being I'm different settings there was a real consistency to the delivery. The treble of the modern.speaker was more detailed but tonally in the mid and.bass there was not a lot between them.

I have corrected original posting to avoid misleading readers.

Pardon my mistake,

I'm Martyn.

We all make mistakes.
    Some of mine were rather embarrassing !
    I really would love to hear the Rogers models you mentioned.
    As far as I know, no-one nearby has either model.
    In fact, no-one nearby has a decent system...

I'm Dennis.

A few years ago a friend asked me to sell his overgrown collection, and it included BC!s, LS 3/6s, Rogers export monitors and I think Rogers Studio 1s.

The common path of development was obvious, but I thought the 3/6s had the edge.

+ Reply to Thread