+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garrard 301 DRD

I'm Charlie.

I've also wondered about that part... in fact there are lots of interesting bits on those ex BBC Garrards. Like you Andrew I study them to see if there are parts/ideas worth using on my own TTs. I hadn't considered the possibility of it being converted from grease, I guess the grease bearings didn't need the felt washer so this triangular part could be simply to hold a felt washer in place. A bit over-engineered though! Have you spotted any mods that might benefit our Garrards? It looks like most of the modifications were to make the DJs life easier rather than to improve sound quality.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Chas B View Post
    I've also wondered about that part... in fact there are lots of interesting bits on those ex BBC Garrards. Like you Andrew I study them to see if there are parts/ideas worth using on my own TTs. I hadn't considered the possibility of it being converted from grease, I guess the grease bearings didn't need the felt washer so this triangular part could be simply to hold a felt washer in place. A bit over-engineered though! Have you spotted any mods that might benefit our Garrards? It looks like most of the modifications were to make the DJs life easier rather than to improve sound quality.
    Charlie,

I learned all my stuff from talking to people, watching youtube, and getting my hands dirty. People you may wish to talk to are Loricraft, Matt at Audiograil, Dr. Martin Bastin. Keeping you Garrard in perfect mechanical condition is probably the best modification you could try! I'm in the process of getting a fully modded Bastin 401 in plinth. Should be fun.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Chas B View Post

The bearing is swapped, grease to oil. The giveaway is the screw head at the side of the spindle. If it's been further modded to raise n lower the spindle the triangular piece may be there to retain the felt ring??

Found some pics on VE, sorry my tech skills are limited to a link.
    https://www.vinylengine.com/turntabl...ic.php?t=58029

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Charlie,

I learned all my stuff from talking to people, watching youtube, and getting my hands dirty. People you may wish to talk to are Loricraft, Matt at Audiograil, Dr. Martin Bastin. Keeping you Garrard in perfect mechanical condition is probably the best modification you could try! I'm in the process of getting a fully modded Bastin 401 in plinth. Should be fun.
    Hi Andrew, yes I peruse the www constantly for ideas to apply to my TTs. Your own efforts brought me to AOS. My own efforts include a heavily modded Lenco with my own bearing/platter design. A 401 serviced by myself and housed in a DIY slate plinth. A 301 rebuilt by myself in a basic moldovian plinth which I've been experimenting with, it's fitted with a FR64fx which I had to manufacture the missing parts for... like yourself I'm a hands-on person, it's half the fun!

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by DiveDeepDog View Post
    The bearing is swapped, grease to oil. The giveaway is the screw head at the side of the spindle. If it's been further modded to raise n lower the spindle the triangular piece may be there to retain the felt ring??

Found some pics on VE, sorry my tech skills are limited to a link.
    https://www.vinylengine.com/turntabl...ic.php?t=58029
    Ah, now I get it. So the spindle can actually rise and fall within the bearing. Good for DJs but not very relevent for us... Thanks for the link to pics, very interesting.

I'm Matt.

The pictured 301 is not a pure DRD 5 - it shares several parts from an RP2/1 - This is not unusual as BBC engineers would cobble together / maintain the units for functionality rather than originality. The face plates with no 78 RPM are DRD5 the x3 raisers on the periphery are RP2/1 types. The bearing is oil (original DRD5's are grease those still used by the Beeb as back up or were slower to be exchanged for the successor the RP2/1, were fitted with oil bearings. All RP2/1's are oil bearings and have the 78 function) The entire housing is DRD5. A genuine collectors piece for sure but if you want it to sound good there is lots (and I genuinely mean lots that needs to be done, If you want to restore full BBC function there's even more that will need to be done.)
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever.
    www.sellgarrard301.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12