+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rare Ortofon A25/GT?

I'm Carsten.

Default Rare Ortofon A25/GT?

Hi
    I am Carsten from Denmark. I love vintage gear, especially old Ortofon. I mainly collect and mostly listen to streamed music :-) - Sorry!!!
    I came across this strange thing that I have NEVER seen before. Can anybody help me to identify it?
    It is mono in a bakelite head shell type G with a built in transformer. The cartride looks like a Type A25 with sappire stylus.

Best regards
    Carsten
    Attached Images Attached Images

montesquieu Guest

You might find more expertise on rare cartridges over on Lenco Heaven.

Are you sure it's an A type and not a C type? Hard to tell from the very small picture. Does the headshell have two output pins or four?

Agree it's a good idea to include a transformer in these as the standard output from the C type at least is not ideal for any MC or MM phono stage. It's not something you see often though.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Clearly the generator is either the Ortofon A or Ortofon C monophonic moving-coil design fitted into the Type G headshell.

It is not readily possible to distinguish between the A or C versions by appearance alone: the 'A' required a VTF of 7g, the 'C' required only 3.5g and was intended for professional use. The '25' denotes the diameter in um of the spherical diamond tip.
    Barry

I'm Carsten.

Thans for answering. I am pertty sure it is an A genarator. The "needle arm" on the C version is narrower and a bit longer than the C as far as I remember. What puzzels me most is the funny built in transformer...?
    Could it be factorymade? Or DIY?

montesquieu Guest

Pointless asking Ortofon they have little interest in or knowledge of their own history.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by cardal View Post
    Thans for answering. I am pertty sure it is an A genarator. The "needle arm" on the C version is narrower and a bit longer than the C as far as I remember. What puzzels me most is the funny built in transformer...?
    Could it be factorymade? Or DIY?
    I don't know if the early Ortofon cartridges used an external transformer or not. Later SPUTs used an on-board transformer, made for them by the Danish transformer manufacturer Joergen Scheu; as was the external transformer: the 2-15K They have a completely different appearance to the one shown with your cartridge.
    Last edited by Barry; 24-07-2019 at 19:31. Reason: spelling
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread