+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wanted: desktop computer or advice on one

I'm Russell.

You didn’t mention what kind of processor your computer has? But I’m guessing it’s something less than an Intel i7? If this computer is doing what you need, perhaps an OS upgrade and a stick of RAM would make it acceptable? Since you aren’t looking to spend a lot, patching this unit up may be the ticket?

If I had a desktop, with a universal sized case, I’d upgrade the entire thing. A new ASUS motherboard with i5, or i7 processor, these motherboards have a fast front end bus, and can accommodate a lot of fast RAM. And SSD, solid state drives are expensive, but are definitely fast! Many opt for both, a smaller SSD with the operating system on it, and a larger HDD, or hard disc drive, for the bulk of data storage. This will give a lot more space for less money. And any standard video card these days is stellar compared to what you’re used to. But, I’m guessing you really don’t want to get your hands that dirty? It can be intimidating. If it’s something you may consider, check out some YouTube videos on the subject, it’s not as bad as all that.

Bargain computers from the department store can seem like great deals! They brag on big numbers, big processors, but they cheat on the small things, the front side bus is slow and they use slow memory, cheap 2nd grade hard drives, etc. I ordered a computer from Dell, and they were fairly decent, they didn’t cut corners on their main line of desktops, of course their budget computers are cheap like everyone else’s. But, by the time you get the memory upgrade, the SSD upgrade, and the extended warranty, the price can go up!

Like most things, you get what you pay for. But from what it sounds like, you’re not asking a lot from your computer. An i5 with 8gigs of RAM, and a TB of HDD, and Windows 10, should do everything you need for a long while.

It’s been a few years, but I worked with computers for 12 years, there have been a few advancements, but surprisingly little has changed.
    Russell

I'm Dave.

if you look for Dell Optiplex on the Amazon UK site you should find some refurbished models. One of those might do. I found an i5 model for under £100, but it was only Win 7. I think £150 gets a Win 10 i3 based model. Would any of those do?
    Dave

I'm alan.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    if you look for Dell Optiplex on the Amazon UK site you should find some refurbished models. One of those might do. I found an i5 model for under £100, but it was only Win 7. I think £150 gets a Win 10 i3 based model. Would any of those do?
    I’ve had some great advice and it looks as if £200 or less should get me a good desktop. There’s someone in Eastbourne who deals with refurbished computers so I’ll see if he can match the specs of the ones on EBay or Amazon. If so, there will be the added advantage that there will be help on hand if I run into difficulties (my computer skills are rather basic and there’s no one I could turn to).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12