+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amp suggestions for Tannoy Kensingtons

I'm Grant.

Default Amp suggestions for Tannoy Kensingtons

Trying to get the most out these new to me speakers the SE version and i feel that my current amps are not doing them justice
    the power is a Dynavector HX75 100w
    pre is Tom Evans Vibe with pulse power suppy
    room is 8m by 5 and 3.5 m high
    I like to turn it up a bit to fill the room
    music varies from classical large scale, electronic, alt country,reggae,acoustic guitar, lots of female vocals some rock bit of jazz maximum emotion and realism are to me more important over hyper detail .
    If valves are the way to go i cant have anything that gets too hot and prefer low maintenance, my only experience is with class AB but have no bias. open to changing the pre amp is there is something with more synergy. The tom Evans amps hardly ever come up for sale out here (west Australia) trying to keep the cost below 1500 pounds but may be able to stretch for something exceptional
    all and any ideas welcome
    thanks
    Grant

I'm Martin.

Some you could look at although no idea if they would be better than what you have as I've never heard those amps.

Valves - Radford STA15 or 25, Leak Stereo 20

Hybrid (valve input, transistor output) Croft Series 7R

Solid state - Sugden A21
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

montesquieu Guest

I tried the Tom Evans Linear A with Tannoys (15in Monitor Golds) and it wasn't a great match, lackustre and lacking in life, which is not how I've heard it sound with some other speakers.

Tannoys in general (with very few exceptions) don't sound at their best with single ended amps. The Kensingtons are tuned to go low despite 'only' having 10in drivers, and need grip if they aren't to sound bloated and uncontrolled, so for the most part you are looking at EL34 or KT88 family - it's not power you need as such but you do need a reasonable damping factor which is seldom available from single ended.

I would suggest if you are in the price bracket for the Linear A or B, look at the Leben CS 660p or CS1000p, or the Audio Research Reference 75. The Lebens have sensitivity adjustment so you don't need to worry about gain levels going in. I owned the first of the Lebens and had extended use of the second one and they are absolutely top amps for any Tannoy really.

Or save some money and get arguably pretty much as good performance from a vintage Radford STA25, though it may be a bit sensitive for the high gain of the Tom Evans preamp - Will Moores of Radford Revival adjusted the sensitivity of mine so that I could be safely used with a 'normal' preamp.

EDIT just saw the budget, for £1500 it's got to be the Radford though you might just about pickup a Leben 660p for that. Lots of other options though for a good push-pull EL34 or KT88 amp, the Art Audio push-pull amps, some of the earlier Croft amps (series 4), other Audio Research or Conrad Johnson models.
    Last edited by montesquieu; 21-07-2019 at 19:40.

I'm Grant.

thank you both might have to up the budget a bit

I'm Graham.

Rogue audio make grunty valve power amps that are better priced than most competitors. Assuming they are available US amps usually better value in oz than than Brit amps.

I'm Phil.

I use a powerful 200 watt SS amp with my tannoy legacy . really grips them and sounds very very smooth and involving . thats important to me as can`t stand bright kit , gives me earache literally. we also used a 70 watt thrax valve amp with the tannoys which was just stunning
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Grant.

thanks for our input Thrax will have to wait for that lottery win
    Rouge is a good suggestion, We had some great valve amp builders over here Cymer and Earl Weston but both no longer producing due to health reasons

I'm Phil.

this is the thrax

P1050287 by , on Flickr
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    The crew and I have played with a lot of Tannoys.
    Are you Philip Green ? If so I claim my £10

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Tony.

An axe for the speakers

I have always felt Tannoys work better with valves, the Thrax is nice but has a very definite sound home trail essential.

What about VAC? damn fine valves
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast