+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Listening near field

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Chris.

Default Listening near field

Does anyone else listen to their hi Fi near field (say less than 6ft from the speakers)? If so what do you find are the pros and cons?
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm jamie.

i have to due to room layout,it works for me,cant say ive noticed any downsides,i get a lovely centered soundstage.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    i have to due to room layout,it works for me,cant say ive noticed any downsides,i get a lovely centered soundstage.
    Thanks Jamie

I agree that a wonderful soundstage is a big pro. For me the only downside is that it gets a bit tiring after a full day of listening - bit like being front row at a concert for about 8 hrs How is that aspect with your NS1000Ms. I owned a pair many moons ago and they take no prisoners.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Nick.

Second this
    Hifi: Innuos Zen Mini MKIII > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Quad Vena II > Custom Clyde interconnects > TA Monoblocks > Tellurium Black > Reiver Millburn MK II (Custom super tweeters & TQ Black Jumpers).

Headphone Rig: MacBook Pro/Google CCA > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Beresford SEG > Custom Clyde interconnects > Beresford Capella > Sennheiser 700s

I'm jamie.

they are fine,i took a lot of care in setting them up and made my own stands to suit but i do know what you mean.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Chris.

they are fine,i took a lot of care in setting them up and made my own stands to suit but i do know what you mean.
    I'm guessing you listen at low to modest volumes.
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Steve.

Sometimes I will stand in front of the speakers, about a metre away, and I love the way they sound there - very detailed and very 3D. I think a lot might have to do with the direct sound from the speakers, rather than it competing with boundary reflections. But I can see how it may get tiring after a while.

I would put a chair there, but Mrs. P would moan about not being able to see the telly. But if I lived on me bill I would definitely do this.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Sometimes I will stand in front of the speakers, about a metre away, and I love the way they sound there - very detailed and very 3D. I think a lot might have to do with the direct sound from the speakers, rather than it competing with boundary reflections. But I can see how it may get tiring after a while.

I would put a chair there, but Mrs. P would moan about not being able to see the telly. But if I lived on me bill I would definitely do this.
    Its like wearing big head phones and you're right, the direct sound reaches you before all the spurious reflections - clean.

Another minor downside is you become aware of the mechanical sound of your amp transformers and the small amount of valve hum that all valve amps put out through the speakers.
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Steve.

Hi
    I also listen near field, limited by room size.
    The only downside is me, I'd like a bigger room.

Jamie has heard my system and I've heard his and both systems work great given the space they work in.

Only difference is due to a deaf neighbour i can play mine as loud as i like

Steve.
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm paul.

My listening room in the garden is about 9' X 7' so I listen at about 6', room is treated with absorption panels at first reflection points on walls and ceiling and behind my sofa. As said no reflections to muddy the waters but I do need to sit back on the sofa as sitting upright on the edge of the sofa when adjusting settings the bass drops off. As for " mechanical sounds " not even with 99db drivers. I listen at 75-85db mostly and long sessions don't give fatigue.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast