+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Listening near field

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Anto.

An interesting discussion . I have a modest Yamaha AS 500 amp ,with Tannoy dual concentric speakers , and I have ended up with them on a slanted foam matting on a parquay floor .
    They sit about 8ft away from the central point of my listening reclining chair , where my head is (I rarely recline it) and as they slant ,they fire the music striaght at my head height . I point the speakers towards my ears ,maybe just past towards the back of my head , but I am forever tweeking them so they are pointing across my nose as well !!
    Cant make my mind up wether to set them further away or what really ! But when the right track is on ,it bears no relation to headphones and is sweet as ever !! Maybe it depends on my mood and the volume ?
    I have an old Rel Q50 sub in the corner of the room to my left ,and it does put some body into the whold thing , but there are times I prefer just to hear the treble in all its clarity .

Its all low budget ,but still makes sense in the scheme of things !!
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
    An interesting discussion . I have a modest Yamaha AS 500 amp ,with Tannoy dual concentric speakers , and I have ended up with them on a slanted foam matting on a parquay floor .
    They sit about 8ft away from the central point of my listening reclining chair , where my head is (I rarely recline it) and as they slant ,they fire the music striaght at my head height . I point the speakers towards my ears ,maybe just past towards the back of my head , but I am forever tweeking them so they are pointing across my nose as well !!
    Cant make my mind up wether to set them further away or what really ! But when the right track is on ,it bears no relation to headphones and is sweet as ever !! Maybe it depends on my mood and the volume ?
    I have an old Rel Q50 sub in the corner of the room to my left ,and it does put some body into the whold thing , but there are times I prefer just to hear the treble in all its clarity .

Its all low budget ,but still makes sense in the scheme of things !!
    Some interesting aspects Anto.

My speakers are 10ft away, 13ft apart, and the business of whether to have them crossing in front or behind the head is a hard one for me, and us all to an extent I suspect. Directly at them of course gives extra top - on axis tweeters.

Personally I do not like phones for listening, but they are very good for analysing, speakers at least give a portrayal in front of the listener which is to me more realistic.

+ Reply to Thread