After a good few months listening solely via headphones (Denon AH-D7000) I have become somewhat hooked on the inherent time and phase purity of single driver transducers; and I find that I cannot listen happily to most multi-driver speakers which often complex crossover networks. In time, I will try a pair of Omega Compact Alnico Monitors, which even have 'proper' whizzer cones, but for now I just need something small and musical for those times when I don't wish to make a conscious decision to sit down with the 'phones.

Justin at Sevenoaks in Norwich suggested the little Klipsch R-51M bookshelf speakers a being unusually musical little things with a really basic crossover. These speakers look hideous and feel pretty cheap with a lightweight vinyl-wrapped cabinet, but they do cost only £249, so I bought a pair. Well, blow me if Justin was right - these things might have a very slightly coloured sound perspective (probably the lightweight cabinet) but other than that they have a nice sonic balance and do musical timing and resolution better than most speakers that I can recall, at any price. The 'tractrix' horn tweeter is a little gem and the top end dispersion is excellent - they image beautifully. Had it not been for the recommendation, I would never have given these little Klipsch speakers a single glance, except in revulsion, but they are a minor audiophile bargain.

https://www.henleyaudio.co.uk/products/R-51M