+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else using Exact Audio Copy to burn CDs onto a hard drive?

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    interestingly i used to use it on a xp and vista laptop but on won 8 or 10 it never worked right for me or was basically unusable. not sure if it worked on win 7
    Mine is running Windows Vista, and goes like a steam train
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

montesquieu Guest

There's a lot of bloatware that comes with newer PCs now - I was shocked at how much when I was setting up my wife's fancy touch screen Lenovo she uses for work, all sorts of games, pointless utilities, trial applications and so on, much of it set to load into memory on start-up. It took an hour or more to get rid of it all. I suspect though that some people would be reluctant to delete this junk as it 'comes with the machine'. That could be part of your problem with the original PC or laptop. That and the fact that the program itself needs updating to run properly on modern operating system versions.

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...rid-of-it.html

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    There's a lot of bloatware that comes with newer PCs now - I was shocked at how much when I was setting up my wife's fancy touch screen Lenovo she uses for work, all sorts of games, pointless utilities, trial applications and so on, much of it set to load into memory on start-up. It took an hour or more to get rid of it all. I suspect though that some people would be reluctant to delete this junk as it 'comes with the machine'. That could be part of your problem with the original PC or laptop. That and the fact that the program itself needs updating to run properly on modern operating system versions.

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...rid-of-it.html
    Thanks Tom for the info. That makes good sense as the old laptop was wiped of all stuff ready for dumping. It wont even go on the Internet, which means I lose some of the labelling bits of EAC, but I don't care.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    Thanks Tom for the info. That makes good sense as the old laptop was wiped of all stuff ready for dumping. It wont even go on the Internet, which means I lose some of the labelling bits of EAC, but I don't care.
    I take it you're entering track details manually, before ripping?
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    I take it you're entering track details manually, before ripping?
    Can live without it. I just use the CD jewel case or I cant be bothered to even move then I use Shazam
    Not a lot different to reading a vinyl album cover.
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Edward.

Chris, why can't the old machine go on the internet? Have you tried connecting the machine to your router with an ethernet cable? I find even with ancient machines, so long as it boots, connecting to the internet with ethernet always works.

EAC has an excellent hit rate for finding correct metadata. And if you want to find metadata for rips you have already done use mp3tag.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    Can live without it. I just use the CD jewel case or I cant be bothered to even move then I use Shazam
    Not a lot different to reading a vinyl album cover.
    If you're sure it's the way to go .......
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Chris, why can't the old machine go on the internet? Have you tried connecting the machine to your router with an ethernet cable? I find even with ancient machines, so long as it boots, connecting to the internet with ethernet always works.

EAC has an excellent hit rate for finding correct metadata. And if you want to find metadata for rips you have already done use mp3tag.
    He's ripping to WAV - metadata not supported.
    That said, at least the files would be correctly named...
    Last edited by Stratmangler; 27-07-2019 at 15:10.
    Chris

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    He's ripping to WAV - metadata not supported.
    That said, at least the files would be correctly named...
    Well that certainly has been true for most of the time tagging was implemented Chris. However since recently (2016?) tagging in wav files in a standardised way has been implemented by most audio software. ID3v2 tags are now (can be) added to an extra chunk at the end of the wav file. MP3tag, JRiver, Microsoft to name but three software packages implement embedded wav tagging.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

Thanks Edward.
    Last time I looked (and I'm fairly sure it was within the last couple of years, although it could easily have been longer) it wasn't supported.
    I've just done some WAV ripping using dBPoweramp, and I can read tags using Mp3Tag.
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast