+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Raspberry PI as a CD player

I'm Grant.

Mine is a big LG unit. I bought 2 to use with my pcs years ago but had them stored. Fortunately I kept them. The one I pulled is great. And yes it's got its own psu
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel_Knight View Post
    I think Apple external CD/DVD drive can be powered only by certain Apple devices
    I have checked and quite correct, I should have done so at the start.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Neil.

Default Raspberry PI as a CD player

The Raspberry Pi cannot power the vast majority of external drives, so they need their own PSU, or a powered USB hub.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    The Raspberry Pi cannot power the vast majority of external drives, so they need their own PSU, or a powered USB hub.
    You can increase the current output via the USB outputs from 0.6 to 1.2 and this will make the majority of USB HD units work (not those that come with there own power supply) . This is a software change and is available on most software flashes such as Max2play and PiCore .

I'm Neil.

Put Volumio on last night and it’s a slick UI, best I’ve used yet on Pi. System seems solid and responsive, sound is the same as my DietPi / Allo GUI software. I use Mconnect to control TIDAL.

Installed nanosound, but waiting on a Freecom Classic external drive as I want a drawer unit rather than wrestling with my slim drive.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Nick.

Anyone suggest a drive they have tried and been successful with?

The one I have won't read, I think it's because it has 2 USBs, one for data and one for power. I thought it would work because it works with one USB on my Mac but it doesn't work on the Pi even with 2 USBs plugged in.
    Hifi: Innuos Zen Mini MKIII > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Quad Vena II > Custom Clyde interconnects > TA Monoblocks > Tellurium Black > Reiver Millburn MK II (Custom super tweeters & TQ Black Jumpers).

Headphone Rig: MacBook Pro/Google CCA > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Beresford SEG > Custom Clyde interconnects > Beresford Capella > Sennheiser 700s

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent View Post

The one I have won't read, I think it's because it has 2 USBs, one for data and one for power. I thought it would work because it works with one USB on my Mac but it doesn't work on the Pi even with 2 USBs plugged in.
    I’ll let you know how I get on with my Freecom Classic, which has a separate PSU. These are quality German units, very heavy compared to my others.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent View Post

Have you tried plugging the power USB into a separate 5v supply?

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by jonners View Post
    Have you tried plugging the power USB into a separate 5v supply?
    I haven't actually, never thought of that. Definitely worth a go!
    Hifi: Innuos Zen Mini MKIII > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Quad Vena II > Custom Clyde interconnects > TA Monoblocks > Tellurium Black > Reiver Millburn MK II (Custom super tweeters & TQ Black Jumpers).

Headphone Rig: MacBook Pro/Google CCA > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Beresford SEG > Custom Clyde interconnects > Beresford Capella > Sennheiser 700s

I'm Neil.

Nanosound is great. Sounds the same, or maybe even a bit better, than streaming via TIDAL. I know there can be watermarking and normalisation, and ripping variance via streaming services vs. CD. The drive is silent in use, no excessive spinning up, but such a thing is a more software related issue, meaning that Volumio / Nanosound is doing a good job.

I’d put this up against any CD transport full stop.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast