+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rogue Audio Sphynx 2

I'm Gary.

Default Rogue Audio Sphynx 2

Hi all,
    Recent acquisition is now 2 weeks old and sounding smoother. It is in my second system comprising of Phillips CD 850 mk2, and Marantz Imperial Six speakers.
    The amp is still improving but already sounds really musical and draws me into the sounds without shouting at me with a forward sound.
    The Marantz Imperials are pretty good but a bit 2 dimensional and lower bass a bit soft-but they fill the room with a sort of 70s soundsystem sound!
    Although the amp did not go well with PMC twenty5.21s in my set up, I really like PMC OB1i and PMC PB1i speakers in my main system. Still have the latter....

Looking for speaker recommendations and any other suggestions based on 2nd hand/used kit welcome.

PMC's and Audion Amp for sale soon on AOS.....

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by gjc121 View Post

Looking for speaker recommendations and any other suggestions based on 2nd hand/used kit welcome.

PMC's and Audion Amp for sale soon on AOS.....
    A very good friend recently gave me a pair of JBL L100 Century’s, from the 70’s, I tidied them up and made some temporary wood stands. They produce a lovely sound, lots of bass but controlled, mid and top end is very good as well. You can pick up reasonable ones for £500-1000. Very efficient and easy to drive. My other speakers are Vienna Acoustic grande Mozart SE’s and are extremely good in their own right, maybe slightly more clarity at the top end, but every time I put them on I end up swapping back to the JBL’s.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm gone.

Celestion Ditton 66 / 44 etc. Also UL10.
    Wonderfully natural "BBC midrange", but can also convey good scale and power.

I had a pair of JBL L110 Monitors - incredibly musically enthusiastic things.

I'm Gary.

Thanks guys keep the comments coming....there appears to be some synergy between the Rogue and the Marantz Imperials but I'm sure I can improve on sound and soundstage in the future...

I'm Graham.

I can vouch for Rogue Audio working well with JBLs, having heard one of their bigger valve amps with the 4311, a fantastic sonic match.

I'm Gary.

Default Update-Rogue Sphynx setup

Hi,
    Well after a good listen found the soundstage of the Marantz Imperial 6 too flat.
    Bought some KEF Coda 9s for £40 and got them set up right and much, much better. Really good mids, bass pretty good and much better soundstage, sounds really smooth.
    I didnt know the Phillips CD could sound so good-Audio smile from ear to ear!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by gjc121 View Post
    Hi,
    Well after a good listen found the soundstage of the Marantz Imperial 6 too flat.
    Bought some KEF Coda 9s for £40 and got them set up right and much, much better. Really good mids, bass pretty good and much better soundstage, sounds really smooth.
    I didnt know the Phillips CD could sound so good-Audio smile from ear to ear!
    I still have a pair of Coda 9's I bought new over 20 years ago and use them in my summerhouse system and they are second only to my Spendors as my favourite speakers I have owned. Real bargain as well at £40! Enjoy!

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread