+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Hats...

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I was referring to Capt. Mad Moon! But if the cap fits wear it
    What makes you think I'm an expert?
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    You can still buy hat boxes. I like that saying..
    “Having your hat boxed”, means to have the creases steamed into it. All hats are just a round dome at first, then they place it in a steam press that puts the creases and dents in the right places, creates the shape of the hat.

So having your hat boxed meant going to the haberdasher where they would place your hat on a form and steam the shape into it. Sorry, I assumed we knew? But I guess it’s not something the average person does much of these days? I wonder if there are any shops who still perform this critical function?

Russell

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by mad-moon View Post
    That is damn funny! I recall hearing a quote from the second war, some Brit was saying about the American pilots, “they’re overpaid, oversexed, and over here!”

Russell

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    “Having your hat boxed”, means to have the creases steamed into it. All hats are just a round dome at first, then they place it in a steam press that puts the creases and dents in the right places, creates the shape of the hat.

So having your hat boxed meant going to the haberdasher where they would place your hat on a form and steam the shape into it. Sorry, I assumed we knew? But I guess it’s not something the average person does much of these days? I wonder if there are any shops who still perform this critical function?

Russell
    Not heard the term Russell. Interesting info.. Will store it in my leaky brain lol .

Makes sense too as I guess there will be a top section with the appropriate lumps on to make the creases and the whole thing will be as in a box
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by mad-moon View Post
    What makes you think I'm an expert?
    Oh dear, I seem to be painting myself into a corner. But I reserve the right to call anyone who knows more about something than I do an "expert". It helps with my self-esteem
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm alan.

The old adage.......
    "If you want to get ahead, get a hat"

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Not heard the term Russell. Interesting info.. Will store it in my leaky brain lol .

Makes sense too as I guess there will be a top section with the appropriate lumps on to make the creases and the whole thing will be as in a box
    Seems like I saw the process on tv, on an episode of “How it’s made”, they toured the Stetson factory. And they had different forms for different hats, a metal or wooden frame the shape of the finished hat, with many small holes in it, a top and bottom half. A big hinged top, with steam lines attached, they’d take the unfinished hat and place it over the bottom form, press down, just as pressing a shirt, Steam would come out, and voila, a perfectly creased hat!

So after you bought a hat that you wore every day, and it got bent, and people sat on it, rained on, etc, a trip to the hat shop was in order, to restore the shape of the hat. Or, so has been my understanding of the whole, “hat boxing”, thing.

Russell

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    Seems like I saw the process on tv, on an episode of “How it’s made”

Russell
    I find that programme frustrating. The narrator Tony Hirst comes out with no end of technical inaccuracies. It may just be down to the script, but they should at least try and get somebody with a bit of technical knowhow reading things through.

I mean, since when is a jig a "fixture" or an electric motor end cover/shield a "bracket"?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I find that programme frustrating. The narrator Tony Hirst comes out with no end of technical inaccuracies. It may just be down to the script, but they should at least try and get somebody with a bit of technical knowhow reading things through.

I mean, since when is a jig a "fixture" or an electric motor end cover/shield a "bracket"?
    I’ve noticed that too, but I’ve always thought that’s what the people who are making whatever they are reviewing told them? They can’t be an expert on everything, so they take the tour, the factory manager gives them the details, and they just repeat it. It’s amazing the people who run factories who have no technical background, the were promoted from operators, most often, and the people who designed the machines are back in Switzerland.

Russell

I'm Martin.

I just dont think I suit hats...yeah I wear a winter dome fleece on the bike but its a dress down affair.

I would like to look like Kid Creole but just think I would get my head kicked in for being too dressy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast