+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buzzing tonearm

I'm Mike.

Default Buzzing tonearm

Since I've had my Croft preamp I've noticed a sizeable buzz from my tonearm, not present on other inputs cd etc, I use a separate phono stage into a line input. Any obvious culprits? The tonearm cable is grounded into the Graham slee.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Since I've had my Croft preamp I've noticed a sizeable buzz from my tonearm, not present on other inputs cd etc, I use a separate phono stage into a line input. Any obvious culprits? The tonearm cable is grounded into the Graham slee.
    Assume the Jelco has an earth on the tonearm cable that is connected to the back of the Slee (it's not always needed and sometimes can make it worse) .. try disconnecting it. Failing that run an extra wire from the Jelco to the turntable. Phono cables can also be sensitive to position and can pick up noise if they run too near transformers so pay attention to the routing.

It's also just about possible (though unlikely) there's something wrong with either Croft or Slee. Could be worth trying the cartridge direct in to see it the issue is being introduced in the process of the extra connection.

I'm Mike.

Thanks I tried the Jelco straight into the Croft - same issue, so problem isn't with slee or croft.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Graham.

Try moving the slee phono stage away from other equipment It could be picking up a hum from the croft transformer.

montesquieu Guest

Try a passive with the Slee into the 909. It could be an issue with the arm cable.

Is the cartridge wired correctly?

I'm Hugo.

Try a different tonearm cable

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by graham67 View Post
    Try moving the slee phono stage away from other equipment It could be picking up a hum from the croft transformer.
    same when plugged straight in to the croft, it has a phono stage.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Try a passive with the Slee into the 909. It could be an issue with the arm cable.

Is the cartridge wired correctly?
    Yeh cart has been wired for about a year, only recently started buzzing. I'lll try with a passive.

I'm Mike.

Was thinking of getting a new tonearm cable anyway. Aren't Yannis Tome ones supposed to be good value? Don't want to spend more than a £100, preferably £50 - £75.

I'm Gary.

Was thinking of getting a new tonearm cable anyway. Aren't Yannis Tome ones supposed to be good value? Don't want to spend more than a £100, preferably £50 - £75.
    I have a Yannis Tome cable that I no longer use, Linn type angled plug to KLEI RCA 's.

Let me know if it's of interest .

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast