+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Audio Grail 301, Bob Cusworth plinth & Graham Phantom Elite ...a glimpse

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    I just don’t understand the willy waving dig!
    Me neither. It's always interesting to see what equipment people own/have owned because it gives some context to their opinions.

I love vinyl (a) because I grew up with it and (b) because it's utter madness to decode a stamped bit of flimsy plastic by tracking a groove with a microscopic diamond, and yet the results can be unbelievably good.

I'm John.

I have read this thread and being a prudent type of individual, I have had a look around at Plinths Designs Available, to my surprise in that search, I stumbled on this offering.
    A Plinth and 301 for a very fair asking price.
    How much more one would need to spend to have a complete functioning set up, will vary, but the option to have a 301 in a bespoke plinth, with known Tonearm/ Deck//Plinth coupling issues designed to have diminishing effects is available for a reasonable price, when compared to the market in general.
    The plinth builder selling the 301 in the link knows his stuff, and I would say his work will be on par or even surpass any designs produced as a laminated construction.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264290008793

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    I have read this thread and being a prudent type of individual, I have had a look around at Plinths Designs Available, to my surprise in that search, I stumbled on this offering.
    A Plinth and 301 for a very fair asking price.
    How much more one would need to spend to have a complete functioning set up, will vary, but the option to have a 301 in a bespoke plinth, with known Tonearm/ Deck//Plinth coupling issues designed to have diminishing effects is available for a reasonable price, when compared to the market in general.
    The plinth builder selling the 301 in the link knows his stuff, and I would say his work will be on par or even surpass any designs produced as a laminated construction.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264290008793
    I have had this members work suggested to me as a possible solution to my wanting to try another plinth type for my 401, but they don't seem to advertise that they freely do such for others, so I haven't messaged them. I don't want to put them in an awkward spot, re having to say no.

Got to say recently I feel like I bought the wrong Garrard as there have been more offerings for 301s re plinths on Ebay than 401s. I am not in any rush though.

I think one of the biggest issues here is there is no solid consensus regarding the best plinth. Got to say originally that lack of consensus paralysed my making a decision for a fair bit.
    Regards Neil

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    I have had this members work suggested to me as a possible solution to my wanting to try another plinth type for my 401, but they don't seem to advertise that they freely do such for others, so I haven't messaged them. I don't want to put them in an awkward spot, re having to say no.

Got to say recently I feel like I bought the wrong Garrard as there have been more offerings for 301s re plinths on Ebay than 401s. I am not in any rush though.

I think one of the biggest issues here is there is no solid consensus regarding the best plinth. Got to say originally that lack of consensus paralysed my making a decision for a fair bit.
    I think there’s been some pretty clear impressions on the plinth and 301 combos
    Imho the Cusworth is the clear winner from the plinths I’ve heard with this TT
    But that choice tends to get shot down in flames as it’s perceived as the expensive choice..
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm John.

I owned a Garrard 401 until a few years ago.
    It had a Martin Bastin Upgraded Bearing put into it in the late 90's.
    The Plinth that it ended up in was a 9 Stone / 60Kg Granite Monolith Stump.
    When moving it was required, it was the most strenuous of logistics.
    It was a young mans sport for sure.
    My advice is to choose something that is quite manageable, 20Kg is about the max I would consider, as a result
    I have looked at different Plinth materials and the design/construction theories associated.
    The function is more important than the aesthetics, but if a material is chosen that can be worked with using standard type tools, a good surface can be produced to receive a coating/covering for the trialed and to be kept finished item.
    In the past few years I have been visiting events with my kit, so have a sack barrow for the Full Range 3 Way speakers as well as the Monoblock Power Supplies, and just putting loading/unloading these into a vehicle, can be a trial, I place a importance on overall weight now, much more so than when I was a young mule .

I'm mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post

I'm happy to admit the Cusworth plinths are another level but also some of the insights Mat has discussed its not just the plinth.
    I'm constrained by very small workspace so I stick to what I know I can achieve to a decent level. So thats layered plinth Fench polished in my kitchen. I like to add a bit of interest with the shape, but ultimately do whatever the buyer wants.

I don't advertise as I'm not commercial, they take a long time to complete and I prefer to deliver a setup, apart form that I welcome enquiries :-)

I'm Nari.

I am humbly sorry if some see my list of equiptment as willy waving, I personally enjoy answering private mail, I get from aos members regularly asking some advise on a little I have learnt over the past 40 years of playing with this gear and share whatever little knowledge I have. I have enjoyed meeting and hearing from many interesting enthusiasts and during my short time have seen many systems vastly progress at whatever price level they may be at.

I see it as a fun hobby and enjoy listening to systems that cost a couple of thousands as much as ones cost hundreds of thousands. I always am amazed by some of the participants on aos who are continuing the quest whatever the budget maybe. I could name a few but i wont but we have people on here who have spent years and years listening and ended up with wonderful systems within there price points and really pushed them self and sacrificed other monetary commitments at the end of the day none of us need any of this stuff we purchase out of passion .
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrajbasi View Post
    I am humbly sorry if some see my list of equiptment as willy waving, I personally enjoy answering private mail, I get from aos members regularly asking some advise on a little I have learnt over the past 40 years of playing with this gear and share whatever little knowledge I have. I have enjoyed meeting and hearing from many interesting enthusiasts and during my short time have seen many systems vastly progress at whatever price level they may be at.

I see it as a fun hobby and enjoy listening to systems that cost a couple of thousands as much as ones cost hundreds of thousands. I always am amazed by some of the participants on aos who are continuing the quest whatever the budget maybe. I could name a few but i wont but we have people on here who have spent years and years listening and ended up with wonderful systems within there price points and really pushed them self and sacrificed other monetary commitments at the end of the day none of us need any of this stuff we purchase out of passion .
    Nari you don’t have to justify or explain anything.
    The willy waving dig was just nasty
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
    Me neither. It's always interesting to see what equipment people own/have owned because it gives some context to their opinions.

I love vinyl (a) because I grew up with it and (b) because it's utter madness to decode a stamped bit of flimsy plastic by tracking a groove with a microscopic diamond, and yet the results can be unbelievably good.
    I am always amazed how much can be retrieved from the black plastic and is a lot of fun experimenting and sometimes obtaining wonderful results.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    Nari you don’t have to justify or explain anything.
    The willy waving dig was just nasty
    Thank you adam and tom you are both gentlemen.
    Last edited by Vrajbasi; 14-07-2019 at 21:52.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast