+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thorens TD 125 Problem

I'm Glen.

Default Thorens TD 125 Problem

Hi All,

Don’t know if you can help, but I certainly need it! I bought a MKII 125 from a guy a couple of weeks ago and just managed to set it up now. It has my old RB250 on it. When I start it up the motor spins, but the platter is very, very slow. The strobe reads about right, but it’s as though it hasn’t the power to spin the platter or the belt is slipping. It came with a couple of spare belts, which I’ve tried and it’s still the same! Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong please? Obviously I’m a little bit annoyed and thinking I might have been diddled, but Petrat on here who sold the TT to the guy I bought it from said he’s pretty straight up..
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm Glen.

Just taken the sub platter out and the oil is thick and green in colour! What is the correct oil for the bearing?

I'm Grant.

No expert on these but I believe there are 3 biggish 40v ekectrolitics. Up around 1000mf. They say replacing these is often needed.
    But if you just got it and it was working then it might be more simple.
    Has the motor or platter been secured and is maybe rubbing. Are the surfaces the belt runs on clean. Are the belts stretched.

Best I can think of, but I'm not all that knowledgeable of the 125. Plenty folk here are
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Glen.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    No expert on these but I believe there are 3 biggish 40v ekectrolitics. Up around 1000mf. They say replacing these is often needed.
    But if you just got it and it was working then it might be more simple.
    Has the motor or platter been secured and is maybe rubbing. Are the surfaces the belt runs on clean. Are the belts stretched.

Best I can think of, but I'm not all that knowledgeable of the 125. Plenty folk here are
    I’ve cleaned off some of the thick oil. But the platter seems not to be free. When I spin it without the outer platter it spins maybe twice then stops. Is it in need of a clean out and fresh oil?

I'm Grant.

Oil is another thing. If its been moved etc. Clean out all the oil then put a little in hole and pop the shaft back in. Lightly oil it first. Don't need much oil. If it starts coming out there's too much in.
    That saying I'm assuming it's an oil bearing like the 150/60
    You can use earbuds to get old oil out
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Glen.

Oil is another thing. If its been moved etc. Clean out all the oil then put a little in hole and pop the shaft back in. Lightly oil it first. Don't need much oil. If it starts coming out there's too much in.
    That saying I'm assuming it's an oil bearing like the 150/60
    You can use earbuds to get old oil out
    There was oil out of the hole. What oil is best by the way?

I'm Glen.

I’ve just read that with the platters on and no belt it should spin for over 60 seconds with a good push. Mine struggled to do 30...

I'm Grant.

Don't need much. Maybe 5ml or so. If it starts leaking with spindle in wipe the spindle and all oil leakage and put spindle back. Spin it a bit and it will find its own position. It should spin freely. It shod also sink a bit etc. It should be silent too.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F112161568018
    Something like this.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Glen.

Don't need much. Maybe 5ml or so. If it starts leaking with spindle in wipe the spindle and all oil leakage and put spindle back. Spin it a bit and it will find its own position. It should spin freely. It shod also sink a bit etc. It should be silent too.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F112161568018
    Something like this.
    Ordered, thanks Struth, much appreciated..

I'm Glen.

Whatever has been used has gone like soft green blue tack in the bottom of the spindle well.. I take it that’s not normal?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast