+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommendations for a vintage direct drive t/t

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    I have a Sony PS6750 as mentioned above. I use it with my headphone system used during bouts of insomnia and it ir really good. Even with it's stock arm it punches above it's weight. I have done the Garrard thing and steered clear, they just didn't do it for me. I recently took it along to NEBO and it played music all day and never skipped a beat even when we bolted an Audio Technica ART 9 MC into it. No bull, i prefer it to my 401 which i have since sold on.
    Really good decks.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Winston.

KENWOOD-KD-770D 700 euro + shipping

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-...47104-172-1763

Or…

KENWOOD-KD-770D US$499, Free-Shipping (for sale/delivery within North-America, only).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333290215430
    Last edited by curry49; 09-08-2019 at 22:48.
    Main system: Lenco L75, Thorens TD-125, Technics SL1700, ReVox A77 two-track 15 ips, Sony PS-1, Dell laptop, mxr, eq, Audio-Research LS-3, UREI 6150, DIY two-way speakers with Altec 802/811 & Goodmans 18” midwoofers.
    Author of; “HIGH-END AUDIO on a BUDGET”

I'm Ben.

I’ve just made the change from. Garrard 401 to a technics sp10. You do get more detail and dynamics but you (so far, it’s early days) get less bass.

You might consider Zenmarket.com to expand your budget a bit. It’s a buying service that gives you access to Japan. DPA 80s and the occasional TTS 8000 go for about £300-400 and you’ll also pick up an arm - say a Stax or a fidelity research Fr54 for a considerable discount to western prices. I got a dpa 80 and a tts 8000 for about £300 (now awaiting their plinths). Allow for postage and customs duties and make sure that they package them well. They are also 100 v and you’ll need a transformer. You’ll also need a plinth. The plinth can be more expensive than the arm and motor depending on what you go for.

One word of warning - my TTS 8000 arrived broken. A bit of the casework. had snapped off. Nothing too serious, but I did need to know a turntable repair genius to sort it out.

Good luck...

Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm John.

Vintage Direct Drives, depending on the Brand and Model, can be found in Japan for
    between £500 - £800 if one is looking for a sale item, that will have a translation, stating
    " Not a junk item".
    Many TT's seen for sale, will be with the vendors request when translated,
    'please read all information', 'do not buy if you are wanting as new goods',
    ' goods are not returnable', ' Junk Item'.
    If £600 is the cut off price for the TT, and the buyer is willing to take a punt on the item.
    If the sale is realised, then add approximately £200 -£260 for the shipping if it is to be packaged correctly, and then by adding 25% for unavoidable duties, to the overall cost will get you close to the price to be incurred.
    I ran my search for a SP10 in the UK parallel with a Far East search and in the end purchased my SP10 in the UK, with the knowing I was going to be supported by Angus with the servicing requirements to get it into a fully functioning TT.
    My purchase caused Angus a few of the beaten track investigations, and I was very thankful and fortunate to have been supported by Angus.

I'm Winston.

Quote Originally Posted by shaman View Post
    As per title. Performance wise needs to equal (or better!) my idler drives. i.e. Garrard 301/ Lenco G99/G88

If that means that the DD should equal the idler in its areas of strengths, I wonder if that’s even possible.

I say this because the appeal of the idler seems to be based on its excesses – and justifiably so: More than any other source, an idler exaggerates dynamics and midbass 'punch' (in a way that seems more realistic than almost anything else). For instance, no other source that I know of (including digital) reproduces the ubiquitous kickdrum as realistically as my own idler, in my own experience.

Yet, some would present credible arguments to suggest that idlers aren’t accurate. Perhaps this also has to do with why idlers seem to excel with Jazz & other popular music, and not necessarily with the Classics. Still, it's ironic that the drive-type which tends to sound the most realistic (with Pop, at least) would also be accused of being the most inaccurate.

Nevertheless, there's no denying that the idler sounds different from other sources - especially idlers at the more extreme end of the scale.

While a good DD can and does sound very much like a good belter, which can sound like tape, or digital, nothing sounds like an idler - nothing. With an idler, the snare and the kickdrum will be more prominent than with any other source - and this is what makes it sound so real, for me and many others, I'm sure - this is the root of its appeal. And Garrards are known to be the most exuberant in this regard.

So, again, I wonder if there's any DD to be found with the ablity to equal the exuberance of a Garrard in its areas of strength.

But then, 'equal' could mean something slightly different.

For instance, I consider my 125 Thorens belter equal to my Lenco idler, even though they're different from each other. The Thorens is now close but not quite as good as the idler in the latter's areas of strength, but, also, the Lenco is not as musically-detailed and nuanced as the 125. Yet, they're both very good (my own little DD doesn't quite compete, even with the likes of an Ittok). I find it hard to imagine permanently opting for one over the other. Add that to the fact that they're generally quite close and it may become apparent as to why I see them as equal.

If 'equal' here is meant in a similar context, then the goal is achievable, for sure.

But, if meant in the literal context, then I'm sorry. - no DD or any other source can equal a Garrard idler in areas where the Garrard shines most.
    Main system: Lenco L75, Thorens TD-125, Technics SL1700, ReVox A77 two-track 15 ips, Sony PS-1, Dell laptop, mxr, eq, Audio-Research LS-3, UREI 6150, DIY two-way speakers with Altec 802/811 & Goodmans 18” midwoofers.
    Author of; “HIGH-END AUDIO on a BUDGET”

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123