+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tannoy Monitor Dilema

I'm Bruce.

Default Tannoy Monitor Dilema

Hello all,

I have a pair of Tannoy speakers. I say a pair but what I really mean is two different speakers.

Firstly, they are not a pair as the cabinets are different, one is a corner cabinet and the other a flat cabinet, I'm sure they are Lancasters.

Secondly, they are not a pair as the speakers are different, one is a Gold LSU/HF/12/8 and one a Red LSU/HF/12L

Im looking to restore the cabinets and in an effort to make them a pair, do I look for another Red or a Gold and a straight cabinet or a corner cabinet...

Or just keep them as an odd pair

What should I be looking at to drive them?

Thanks
    Bruce

I'm Geoff.

Sell them to two people each planning a mono system.

Or, if you want to sort a matching pair aim to get another rectangular cabinet with Monitor Gold, they are easier to find.

Many years ago, Tannoy did state that any of their speakers even if not matched, could be used as a pair due to similarities in the tonal characteristics. I was never convinced.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

montesquieu Guest

What you have is two singles, not a pair, and nothing will make them a pair. Different frequency response, different crossover, different impedance.

Either:

- flog them as two singles and buy a pair with the proceeds
    - flog one and look for a pair of the one you keep - as Geoff say the Gold is more common.

There are collectors out there who will pay for singles like this so my best bet would be to flog both then decide what you want to do with the money.

I'm Bruce.

Thanks for that advice
    Ill be trawling for a Lancaster rectangular cabinet then.

I suppose the Red is worth more and that should easily allow for a replacement gold... However, should I be paying a bit more and sticking with the red?

I have not even had these going properly yet, probably best to take them to someone who knows what they are doing and get them checked out, I have seen Lockwood Audio, are they any good or any other recommendations?

They were given to me and I don't want to just sell them but I will get away with replacing one.

Thanks again

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bonus View Post
    Thanks for that advice
    Ill be trawling for a Lancaster rectangular cabinet then.

I suppose the Red is worth more and that should easily allow for a replacement gold... However, should I be paying a bit more and sticking with the red?

I have not even had these going properly yet, probably best to take them to someone who knows what they are doing and get them checked out, I have seen Lockwood Audio, are they any good or any other recommendations?

They were given to me and I don't want to just sell them but I will get away with replacing one.

Thanks again
    Personally I'd take Golds over Reds, let the 'collectors' have them and go for the speakers that sound better is my view. The Reds are 16 ohm, so generally work well only with vintage tube kit, the crossover is simpler but less precise/focused and this has an impact on detail. They have their fans of course but in my view the Golds do it better especially in a modern system.

+ Reply to Thread