+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Caiman MkII upgrades due.

I'm Paul.

Default Caiman MkII upgrades due.

After quite a layoff from using my Caiman MkII a change in circumstances means that I am having to do more headphone listening and I want to use the Caiman for this but I haven't had an upgrade sine it's original chip was changed to SFW 3/5A firmware. How far have the upgrades come since then and what options are currently available?

Looking at the Beresford website and checking on this board the Dorado and latest firmware look interesting but are there any other options that can improve things without doing DIY. I'm using an S Booster for the DAC and source is CD player only at the moment.

I've also been considering some new headphones and Beyers look like they will be most suitable for me, I just need to decide between DT880 and DT990 now. I'd appreciate any opinions on these from those using Stan Dacs, especially comments regarding the bass as I don't want to be overpowered by it. I've been using the Senn HD600 and budget Takstar HI2050 and while I really enjoy the Senns I want something with more clarity and openness.
    Paul

You can try out the Dorado power supply for a better soundstage. Headphone wise I would look at the 32 Ohms or 250 Ohms DT990. Then there is the SEG-30 firmware to add the functions of the TC-7535 to the TC-7534.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by rossman View Post
    After quite a layoff from using my Caiman MkII a change in circumstances means that I am having to do more headphone listening and I want to use the Caiman for this but I haven't had an upgrade sine it's original chip was changed to SFW 3/5A firmware. How far have the upgrades come since then and what options are currently available?

Looking at the Beresford website and checking on this board the Dorado and latest firmware look interesting but are there any other options that can improve things without doing DIY. I'm using an S Booster for the DAC and source is CD player only at the moment.

I've also been considering some new headphones and Beyers look like they will be most suitable for me, I just need to decide between DT880 and DT990 now. I'd appreciate any opinions on these from those using Stan Dacs, especially comments regarding the bass as I don't want to be overpowered by it. I've been using the Senn HD600 and budget Takstar HI2050 and while I really enjoy the Senns I want something with more clarity and openness.
    I don't have one of stand dacs at the mo, but have beyerdynamic dt 990 pro 250ohm, good cans for not much fold and easy to drive
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Paul.

Thank you Stan for the input regarding the Dorado and SEG firmware. You say that the firmware will give the functions of the SEG, does that include differences in sound presentation as well. If so what can I expect apart from a better soundstage? One option that I am considering is to go directly for an SEG as ultimately I need the ability to listen using headphones in two different systems.

I've been listening to the HD600s with the Caiman over the last couple of days and appreciating them much more than I ever have so I'll probably hold off on new headphones for now unless a good deal comes up.

Pieoftheday, interesting that you use an X40, I was using the headphone output of a Cocktail Audio X30 but was getting a lot distortion which is why I have been looking at my Caiman again.
    Paul

You won't need a new headphone with the SEG. I have the HD650, which is identical to the HD600. The SEG drives it quite well and the sound is far better balanced.
    As for what to expect with the SEG, how does one explain that exactly?

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    You won't need a new headphone with the SEG. I have the HD650, which is identical to the HD600. The SEG drives it quite well and the sound is far better balanced.
    As for what to expect with the SEG, how does one explain that exactly?
    You are right about the expectations, I'll just have to give one a listen as soon as I can get the finaces sorted out.
    Paul

I'm Paul.

I went ahead and ordered the SEG on Sunday evening and it arrived this morning. Thank you Stan.

Initial impressions were that it sounded great through my amp and speakers but was much warmer than I was expecting and hoping via the HD600s. After leaving the CD player on repeat for most of the afternoon and evening the headphone listening is now much more to my liking 😊
    Definitely more revealing than the mkii already.

More burning in will be done before I give it a proper evaluation through the system and with headphones.
    Paul

I'm Tim.

I can get a new firmware chip for my Caiman II? I did get one chip from you, not sure what firmware it's running?

It's been stored for a while and thought I would hook it up for guests while I am out of town.

I do have a generic power supply that you recommended a while back and that did improve some small issues I was having.

thank you

+ Reply to Thread