+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Denon PMA250UK Help requested

I'm Martin.

Default Denon PMA250UK Help requested

Bought off ebay and although it powers up and amplifies fine there is no control over volume and output is at full at any setting of the volume dial.

I've opened it up and there is no sign of any problem at least visually. No scorching, no leaking or bulging caps, all wiring is intact and connected firmly, there are three internal glass fuses which are all clearly intact. Anyone have any idea what the problem might be? I think it might be quite a simple fix as the thing does work there's just no control over levels.

It was advertised as working fine but as it was only fifty quid I can't be arsed to send it back.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Bought off ebay and although it powers up and amplifies fine there is no control over volume and output is at full at any setting of the volume dial.

I've opened it up and there is no sign of any problem at least visually. No scorching, no leaking or bulging caps, all wiring is intact and connected firmly, there are three internal glass fuses which are all clearly intact. Anyone have any idea what the problem might be? I think it might be quite a simple fix as the thing does work there's just no control over levels.

It was advertised as working fine but as it was only fifty quid I can't be arsed to send it back.
    Sounds like the pot for the volume is Knackered.

Pics please lol

I'm James.

I don't know the amp but from audio-room :

"A small hint: it is worth hunting for units with intermittent / disappearing sound in one or both channels. A very common source of problems in this model are solder joints under the volume potentiometer. 5 minutes with a soldering iron and problem solved.

Note that this review is written for the first version of PMA-250. There are also two later incarnations"

So maybe it's a pot/board issue, or a stuck/bent pot wiper?

Either way if it works OK except volume, and the volume is still a simple pot it'll be an easy fix I'd think?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Hi James

I can't do pictures as my phone will not communicate with my laptop. It's the original UK version of the PMA250. Replacing the pot is beyond my skills though. I can solder but I'll probably make a bodge of it. Or break something else in the process. Was hoping I might have missed something obvious lol.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread