+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Musical mm-cart to be used with a Croft Riaa RS?

I'm Johan.

I suggest that you have the original, lightweight arm on your Thorens. It is made for high-compliance styli, not the average mc-pickup, which is low-compliant. Then the Shure-advices here are the best. I've had the best experience with the Shure M 95 in a lightweight arm, so it is my advice. The body is similar to the popular Shure SC 35 and the Shure V 15 II so you can count on them as well.

I'm Grant.

hard to get a mc sound from a mm. my b&o sp1 cart manages it quite well but they are rare and pretty old. I got lucky and got mine from Tom.. Very pleased with it I am.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Robert.

The 2M Black is mc like in my experience and reveiws have expressed as much.

It is a fabulous cart, detailed, holographic, airy, live etc etc
    The main issue with it for me and others is the absolute need for it to be set up meticulously which can be a right PITA to nail.
    Once you have though its a cracker
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm alan.

I heartily recommend a Goldring 1042. MM

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Agree re. the Goldring MM. Nagaoka also make very acceptable MM cartridges.

Grant has mentioned B&O. I'm unfamiliar with the SP1 but do have an SP6, and can recommend that and others in the series (SP8, 10 and especially the 12 and 14). Their later MMC20 series are equally fine cartridges, though long out of production.

Another 'vintage' MM cartridge with which I have great affection is the AKG P8ES, but again long out of production.
    Barry

I'm Dave.

If it was my money, I would be looking at a high output Hana to go with the Croft.

My customers enjoy that combo.

I'm Stephen.

Not strictly MM but I would also throw in a Decca to your list - especially with the Croft. Glenn is very much a Decca fan boy - in fact I bought my Supergold from him after it came back from a John Wright service. It works superbly with my Croft 25RS/7 monos to the extent I have put my Denon S1 up for sale.

+1 for the AKG. I have a NOS AKG P8ES supernova which is a definite keeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Always a little further

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    Not strictly MM but I would also throw in a Decca to your list - especially with the Croft. Glenn is very much a Decca fan boy - in fact I bought my Supergold from him after it came back from a John Wright service. It works superbly with my Croft 25RS/7 monos to the extent I have put my Denon S1 up for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Couldn't agree more.
    Pour moi, nothing beats a Decca if you have a compatible arm.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlemaker View Post
    Couldn't agree more.
    Pour moi, nothing beats a Decca if you have a compatible arm.
    I would agree, having five Decca cartridges of various types/vintages and having extolled in the past the virtues of Decca. But they are cantankerous beasts at the best of times; getting the best out of them requires significant patience and care. If you can do that, then you will be rewarded with a presentation that no other cartridge can achieve. But they are not for the noviciate.
    Barry

I'm Peter.

I have a list of excellent choices now thanks to you. If we start with the most expensive ones - and I will include a high output MC cart also - the ones that appeal the most to me are:

Benz Micro Ebony H (output = 2.5 mV) - mostly because I have a Benz cart now
    Sumiko Amethyst (output = 2.5 mV)
    Shure V15 - which version? + other Shure carts
    Goldring 1042 versions that improve on the original: Reson Reca / Roksan Corus
    Ortofon 2M Black
    Decca carts ... which one and with my Thorens TP16 arm? I am tempted to return to a unipivot arm (Morch UP4, Hadcock), but that is another story.
    Audio Technica 150 + 750 which versions?
    Music Hall Mojo?
    I'm Peter, Denmark: AD Audio Satchmo 3 Line Stage + EAR 516 + Quad ESL 57 + EAR 324P + PTP6 Acoustand L75 + Poul Ladegaard tonearm/Denon 103D + Fidelity Research FR24 mk ii/Decca Maroon + Leak Stereofetic FM Tuner + B&O Beocord 6500 Cassette Deck + Synology DS 415+("upgraded" to 8gb memory) cabled to Win10 PC - JRiver - Paul Pang USB-splitter cable - Linear 5v psu - Nuforce U192s - Line Magnetic 502CA DAC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast