+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Musical mm-cart to be used with a Croft Riaa RS?

I'm Peter.

Default Musical mm-cart to be used with a Croft Riaa RS?

I have a Croft Riaa R that I am going to upgrade to RS status this coming September.

This decision has made me wonder if an mm-cart could be found that would be able to give me much of what I have with my Benz Micro Gullwing SLR.

I have never really used mm-carts in the past but with an mm-stage as good as a Croft Riaa RS, perhaps I won't miss very much if I find a nice one. I have only owned 4 carts - well 5 counting in a Stanton mm on the turntable I shared with my brother until 1983:
    - Ortofon MC200 (still around somewhere)
    - Ortofon MC 30 Super ii (given to a friend)
    - Denon 103R (sold off)
    - Benz Micro Gullwing SLR (bought in 2017)

Any suggestions for a nice mm if I go that route?
    I'm Peter, Denmark: AD Audio Satchmo 3 Line Stage + EAR 516 + Quad ESL 57 + EAR 324P + PTP6 Acoustand L75 + Poul Ladegaard tonearm/Denon 103D + Fidelity Research FR24 mk ii/Decca Maroon + Leak Stereofetic FM Tuner + B&O Beocord 6500 Cassette Deck + Synology DS 415+("upgraded" to 8gb memory) cabled to Win10 PC - JRiver - Paul Pang USB-splitter cable - Linear 5v psu - Nuforce U192s - Line Magnetic 502CA DAC

I'm Chris.

Hi Peter,

some nice kit you have.

Not sure you're going to get that close to the Benz Micro with most MM carts but I would suggest auditioning the following:

- Nagaoka MP-200 and 300 - Great all round sound, very balanced. Good bass.

- Audio Technica AT-VM750SH (some find it bright but in the right setup its lovely) - I think they do a micro line version that is superb too.

- Goldring 1042 - Quite warm and musical. Maybe too warm in some systems.

- Ortofon 2M Black - Neutral with very good detail. Has a "lively" sound occasionally bright.

- The Vessel R3SM - Never heard this one but seems to get high praise (although a little more expensive).

I've owned (or heard for long periods) all of the above apart from "The Vessel R3SM" and would confidently say one of them would float your boat.

Used them between Linn LP12 (Ittok III), Pro-ject 2.9 wood and an Audio Technica LP5 turntables, so checking the compliance with your Thorens is certainly a good idea.

Sorry I cannot advise anything specific to your turntable/arm, I'm sure there are those here that can though.

Good luck.

Chris

I'm Mike.

You could try the Shure 55/Jico SAS that I'm selling, very close to 2M Black for under £150

I'm Graham.

Also add the Audio Note IQ2, IQ3.
    Personally i really like the at 150Sa which is virtually identical to the 750SH mentioned above.

I'm Chris.

Might also be worth looking at Sumiko Amethyst. Haven't heard one myself but any other Sumiko carts have always sounded good to me.

Recommendation for the Audio Note IQ range looks a good one. Aren't they Goldring's built to AN specs?

Had the AT150mlx also, a really great cartridge. Sold it with a TT - wish I hadn't.

I'm Peter.

Interesting suggestions! Thanks.

I am aware of Benz Micro lHIGH MC options also but I doubt that I will be able to pay for those at the moment. My (fairly) local dealer has an Acoustical Systems Fideles at around 700£ - quite a bit more than the Sumiko, Ortofon, Audio Note and Audio Technica carts you mention.

I will have to see which budget I will have at my disposal. Then I will have to see if I can listen to them.
    Last edited by Rosewind; 13-07-2019 at 10:01.
    I'm Peter, Denmark: AD Audio Satchmo 3 Line Stage + EAR 516 + Quad ESL 57 + EAR 324P + PTP6 Acoustand L75 + Poul Ladegaard tonearm/Denon 103D + Fidelity Research FR24 mk ii/Decca Maroon + Leak Stereofetic FM Tuner + B&O Beocord 6500 Cassette Deck + Synology DS 415+("upgraded" to 8gb memory) cabled to Win10 PC - JRiver - Paul Pang USB-splitter cable - Linear 5v psu - Nuforce U192s - Line Magnetic 502CA DAC

I'm Neil.

Reson Reca if you can find one, probably Audio Note IQ if not, or maybe a Roksan Corus as another improved Goldring G1042 cart.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

montesquieu Guest

MikeyB's M55 Jico fits the bill and would be better than most suggestions here.

AN IQ2 or IQ3 if you want to spend a lot more money.

I'm Andrew.

B have to agree the m55 and jico stylus c combo is hard to beat you could easily shift it on
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Karl.

Just a couple of other curveball suggestions to throw out there that havent been mentioned. The new top of the range MOFI cart seems to get a lot of good press but ive never heard one. Soundsmith carts are also very good. Just not sure if these could quite get to the Benz level?? Why not invest in a step up instead of cart?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast