+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Musical mm-cart to be used with a Croft Riaa RS?

I'm James.

I have tried many MC and MM cartridges with my Croft 25R+ and without doubt the 2M Black is the best performing cartridge by far. It was way better than most MC cartridges I have tried.

The Decca Blue cartridge was also no match to the 2M in almost every respect. The high output of the 2M and its vivid "live" sound are truly outstanding with the Croft 25R+ ( This is similar to the RS as it has the same line stage). I know the RIAA RS though has the separate PSU and better phono stage implementation so may sound even better with a 2M Black. Even the live immediate sound of the Decca cannot match the 2M Blacks stunning dynamics and delivery.

If you do decide to go the 2M Black route maybe try and get a used cartridge and have a Fritz Gyger S stylus fitted by Holistic Audio in Holland. This will give you a very special cartridge indeed which would be very difficult to better with any MC never mind MM cartridge. I am recommending this as a Croft user and from my own personal experience.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Peter.

Actually, I have found a little used 2M black locally at around 2/3 of a new cart. l could use that for a while and then have a new stylus fitted later. Tempting.
    I'm Peter, Denmark: AD Audio Satchmo 3 Line Stage + EAR 516 + Quad ESL 57 + EAR 324P + PTP6 Acoustand L75 + Poul Ladegaard tonearm/Denon 103D + Fidelity Research FR24 mk ii/Decca Maroon + Leak Stereofetic FM Tuner + B&O Beocord 6500 Cassette Deck + Synology DS 415+("upgraded" to 8gb memory) cabled to Win10 PC - JRiver - Paul Pang USB-splitter cable - Linear 5v psu - Nuforce U192s - Line Magnetic 502CA DAC

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosewind View Post
    I have a list of excellent choices now thanks to you. If we start with the most expensive ones - and I will include a high output MC cart also - the ones that appeal the most to me are:

Benz Micro Ebony H (output = 2.5 mV) - mostly because I have a Benz cart now
    Sumiko Amethyst (output = 2.5 mV)
    Shure V15 - which version? + other Shure carts
    Goldring 1042 versions that improve on the original: Reson Reca / Roksan Corus
    Ortofon 2M Black
    Decca carts ... which one and with my Thorens TP16 arm? I am tempted to return to a unipivot arm (Morch UP4, Hadcock), but that is another story.
    Audio Technica 150 + 750 which versions?
    Music Hall Mojo?
    What is your budget Peter?
    Barry

I'm David.

You might also try a Cartridge Man Music Maker. I have a mk2 rebuilt into a mk3 by Len Gregory which I really like, though it’s looks will never impress anyone. Re Decca’s I’m using a C4E at the moment which I love, all the dynamics you expect from a Decca with excellent tone to boot.
    David Whistance

I'm Peter.

Budget: a very good question. It depends on whether I am going to sell or trade in my Benz Micro Gullwing. That is why the carts cost from 200£ and up to 1500£.
    I'm Peter, Denmark: AD Audio Satchmo 3 Line Stage + EAR 516 + Quad ESL 57 + EAR 324P + PTP6 Acoustand L75 + Poul Ladegaard tonearm/Denon 103D + Fidelity Research FR24 mk ii/Decca Maroon + Leak Stereofetic FM Tuner + B&O Beocord 6500 Cassette Deck + Synology DS 415+("upgraded" to 8gb memory) cabled to Win10 PC - JRiver - Paul Pang USB-splitter cable - Linear 5v psu - Nuforce U192s - Line Magnetic 502CA DAC

I'm James.

Keep the Gullwing and buy a nice SUT instead of a MM cart?
    Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck / Kuzma Stogi S / Benz Micro Ace S L
    Lenco L-75 / Carl Ellis Plinth / Ortofon AS-212 / Ortofon SPU Classic GM E MkII
    Ortofon ST-7 SUT / Nick G Modded Lentek Head Amp / Croft RIAA

Cambridge Audio CXU / Theta DS Pro Prime

Classé Model 30 / Luxman M-383

Usher Compass X-719

May contain opinions that others find disturbing.

I'm Chris.

There is something about the sound of an MC via an SUT into an MM input. It's my favourite configuration compared to a lot of dedicated MC inputs I've tried.

The sound seems to have more texture yet more delicacy if that makes sense. Maybe it's having separate gain stages which does this but whatever it is I like it.

Plus the gulwing is tops.

I'm paul.

I had a Benz wood sl and decca C4e amongst others but a Shure ultra 500 betters all. High compliance too.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Lars.

I'm a long time fan and user of the Music Maker mk3 cart. It works very well with my Spacedeck and Croft RIAA RS. This spring I also got my RS upgraded by Croft with Rike caps.
    Here, quite many months after, I still find it a very good upgrade (cleaner signal, more transparent sound in the lower mids that reveals a little more detail and improves transients and soundstage).

Lars.

I'm Adam.

+ 1 on the Music Maker
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast