+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade or just spending

I'm Veiko.

Hello.

So yesterday I received this Onkyo A-9130 integrated amplifier.

As for now, it has enaugh volume. But it sounds kinda flat.
    The vocals are not popping out at all, all the tracks seem similar, like music has no melody and no depth.
    So this definately is no upgrade and I am worried.

My only hope is that there may be time needed for the thing to reach it's peak.

Has anyone perhaps experienced this miraculous development of the new amplifier ?
    How much time would you give?

Veiko

I'm Graham.

Hi veiko,

I suspect there will be no transformation. As some of the previous posts mentioned it was unlikely that swapping one cheap amp for another would make much difference.

I know this is probably not what you want to hear but your ears are telling you what some of us suspected would be the case.

i am reminded of the phrase "spend in haste, repent at leisure". Which of course i am still afflicted by 😉

I'm Veiko.

Now. This is evident.
    Listening to new amp on the second day, I myself
    can say it has been a miraculous development.

For sure I expected improvements comparing it to
    TX8220 receiver. Reasons for this were both what the
    amp had more (gold on binders, thicker chassis, thicker
    (removable) mains inlet, better specs, price, PMB...) and also
    what it had less (no radio, no bluetooth, only 4 binders..),
    also - Onkyo receivers appear in almost every list,
    where they name good options for budget-level, especially
    A-9010 (A-9110). Good reviews online, mentions by this
    youtube celebrity Steve Guttenberg, the audiophiliac.

Having said all this, I was yet prepared for the amp
    to sound only EVER SO SLIGHTLY better than my receiver
    TX8220. The thing is, I am only starting out with this,
    I have'nt even heard a good system yet, I don't even know,
    how good they can get. True, I visited Arvo Pärt
    center in Estonia, where they have 22K$ Estelon speakers (see the avatar),
    but I can not say it impressed me. Perhaps it is due to the
    nature of classical music, or to the fact, that they USED IPAD
    for their DAC! I am not even joking. It was easy to listen, but
    nothing special. I also listened to my current speakers at the
    fancy listening room before I bought them, but also - they did
    not impress! I bought them anyway, because Steve Guttenberg was
    practicly screaming all over the youtube, that these are the
    best thing men ever have made, after the wheel and the plow.
    Perhaps this is, as good as it gets, I thought. Later at home,
    I learned to love them. I am very pleased at the moment.

Back to the amp - so you can imagine my disappointment, when the
    amp did not sound a lot better, not a little-bit better, not the
    same, but WORSE than the receiver. On the first day, the sound was
    messed up, no base, no highs, no vocals and a noisy mid-range.

While I am no expert, and while in this purchase might have been a
    doze of neurosis and obsession, I did not believe I could fail in
    such a magnitude. It felt like a robbery.

But having listened to it on the second day, I feel a lot better.
    What I could learn even on the first - it has more power, strength, volume
    or oomph, as some say. Which of course is a funny thing, hence the receiver
    was rated 40 W more.. Yeah, it had that. And I guess the ability to
    sound clearer at the lower listening-level. The glimpses of better detail
    were also heard. But the second time things had clicked even more. Now it
    has depth, the space, it has the highs, the lows and the mid-range is not
    like a packed up fridge. I listened to some Zappa, Orbital, Smiths, Jeff Beck,
    Marzi Nyman, but only instrumental stuff, sounds funny, but I was afraid to
    put vocals on, and ruin my spirits. But the instrumental stuff definately worked,
    it was way better. I became very excited. I will of course get to the vocals as
    well at one point, and perhaps share a thought.

So weather you can call it a burn-in or a warm-up, you can not
    trust the out-of-the-box listening on the first day.

Next stop, I will substitute the wolfson DAC with the Onkyo
    NS-6130 separate, after a month. I could do it now, I guess,
    but I think I should do it gradually.

Thank you for your time!

Veiko

I'm Martin.

if you do exactly the opposite of what Steve Guttenberg says then you won't go far wrong...

Seriously though glad you are now happier with the new amplifier.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adrian.

Glad you are growing to like it, I am a firm believer that electronics take time to settle down and get to their best operating level, after that its just down hill, no only kokingon the downhill that takes a few years.

Remember all that matters is what you hear and whether you are happy with it or not.MAgazine eviews and other peoples opinions should only be used as a guide in my opinion. Yes they can be valuable from pointing you in the right direction, but reviews especially may be quite biased for all sorts of reasons. Also dealers have a vested interest in getting you to return time and time again, the good old upgrade route. So they are unluckily to let the HiFi Golden Eggs out to the bag early on, especially if there are value for money items, better to get you on the upgrade path and keep you going up the expensive and exotic hifi ladder for as many years as possible. Sorry I know that sounds very cynical I know but sadly probably not too far from the truth, with a few exceptions out there that I know of.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Dennis.

Adrian, I disagree with this;
    "Remember all that matters is what you hear and whether you are happy with it ".

Because IME we can reach a point at which the system is so revealing that it becomes unpleasant. This then confronts us with the question; "Do I want a comfort zone, or to hear all the reality, warts and all".

This is from a write-up on the Gammas:

Professional monitoring loudspeakers
    are designed to reveal exactly what's
    in a recording, warts and all. Any bad
    aspects need to be obvious so that
    suitable corrections can be made,
    but in the home such a loudspeaker
    will usually be unbearable to listen to
    after a while, especially with some of
    the poor recordings doing the rounds
    these days..."

I wrote the following in a discussion with a fellow Hi-Fi friend on my acquisition of ADAM speakers;

They are like my cat, at times lovely and then full of mad surprises and seemingly spontaneous behaviour.
    It is very comfortable to be drunk or stoned, or for many, have a fag, and that is what many speakers seem to do by rounding off the unpleasant corners, and they leave one feeling in control – mental comfort zone, no infliction.
    These do not, wonderfully unruly like the cat.
    Last edited by Pharos; 06-09-2019 at 16:20. Reason: Additions

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Adrian, I disagree with this;
    "Remember all that matters is what you hear and whether you are happy with it ".

Because IME we can reach a point at which the system is so revealing that it becomes unpleasant. This then confronts us with the question; "Do I want a comfort zone, or to hear all the reality, warts and all".

Given the vast majority of recordings are made on very revealing systems and deliberately made to sound good I have to disagree with this. If the system sounds unpleasant it is due to distortion. I have my doubts about the quality of the amplifiers that are built into some of these active pro monitors. And even if those doubts are unfounded there's still the pre-amplifier to take into account. Most pre-amps are terrible,
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Dennis.

The unruliness is actually not in distortion, they do that less than I have ever heard from any loudspeaker over the last 30 years, it is in dynamic presentation, sudden appearance of parts previously seemingly recessed or non existent.

I'm Martin.

But that's a good thing isn't it? I agree on some recordings on occasion you can hear how they have stitched them together. But it doesn't make them unpleasant to listen to, at least not for me.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Dennis.

Yes, but psychologically it is a bit of a curate's egg.

The sense of astonishment which occurs at times leads one to believe that something more is being extracted or 'dug out', and this can be a revelation, but often recordings can sound mundane. This scenario differs from that with perhaps more colored speakers where the coloration can add a sense of presence.

This latter is only tentative, but I think also that coloration can add intelligibility to speech, it often appears in the presence range.

ATM FM, which I have on in the background much of the time varies enormously, and of course my perceptions must include any changes within me, but on occasions it can be very good, and I notice particularly that consistently, vocalists are presented purely, and I cannot see how this can be a result of artefact.

Many years ago I met a guy locally who was also a Hi-Fi fanatic who had ATCs, and he complained that they were too good. I couldn't see how a speaker could be too good at the time, but now see what he may have meant. They were also often described as mechanical sounding.

The accuracy surely must make listening more forensic, and this frame of mind is not conducive to revelling in the art, unless we are sound recording fanatics admiring the work done technically.

I welcome any I/P here.
    Last edited by Pharos; 07-09-2019 at 15:03.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast