+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Audio Grail 301, Bob Cusworth plinth & Graham Phantom Elite ...a glimpse

I'm Adam.

[/QUOTE]
    [/QUOTE]

Thanks Matt for offering more information on Bob’s process.
    And Oh My!!, that has to be the finest, most stunning looking piece of Audio equipment I’ve ever
    Seen. Just beautiful.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Geoff.

It is all beautiful gear and the argument about price is inconsequential: if you think it is too expensive, don't buy it.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Matt.

If you look at the curves you can note the solid wood it would not be possible to achieve this look with veneers (Too thin)

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever.
    www.sellgarrard301.com

I'm David.

Three stunning looking turntables, mmm, which one should I buy?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by oldius View Post
    It is all beautiful gear and the argument about price is inconsequential: if you think it is too expensive, don't buy it.
    Just thought I'd post the cost of the arm out of interest, couldn't care less how much it cost, when it's a hobby the skies the limit money wise

Be good to know the total cost of the TT in question.

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Quote Originally Posted by antonio View Post
    Three stunning looking turntables, mmm, which one should I buy?
    All of them

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    At the cutting edge of Numptyness!

I'm Nari.

[/QUOTE]

And Oh My!!, that has to be the finest, most stunning looking piece of Audio equipment I’ve ever
    Seen. Just beautiful.[/QUOTE]

It is indeed a thing of beauty, what I love is each plinth turntable combo has there Unique identity, each one has its own charm. By far the most beautiful and musical way to enjoy a Garrard 301, I would love to see a 401 in a Rjc plinth not sure if its been done. I have seen the stunning Garrard drd 5 in the most amazing plinth at my dealer friends place.
    Last edited by Vrajbasi; 11-07-2019 at 06:38.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrajbasi View Post

"I have seen the stunning Garrard drd 5 in the most amazing plinth at my dealer friends place."

Indeed his BBC DRD 5 was a very special unit and a hard one to let go but it rests in rather good company! I agree - The Cusworth plinth for the DRD 5 is fantastic

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever.
    www.sellgarrard301.com

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Grail View Post

"I have seen the stunning Garrard drd 5 in the most amazing plinth at my dealer friends place."

Indeed his BBC DRD 5 was a very special unit and a hard one to let go but it rests in rather good company! I agree - The Cusworth plinth for the DRD 5 is fantastic

I love the drd5 the rarest of the lot,I was told that this particular turntable was used by radio one. Its does sound rather amazing I have to say. Its does sit in rather fine company and is well treasured, I have tried to purchase it on several occasions.
    Last edited by Vrajbasi; 11-07-2019 at 09:33.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Twas a gorgeous thing, I got to hear it too in Adam's brief tenure. The attention to detail on the plinth was really something and it's got me thinking too. (I'm sure Bob C must have a TD124 design or two up his sleeve.) The AG 301 too was a lovely thing, minty mint as a minty thing, considering it's probably older than me.

However ... and maybe heretical to say this in present company ... but to my ears at least, and with my music, it still sounded like a 301 ... solid and huge but a bit dark. On balance I prefer the sound of a well-sorted TD124 (like mine, you could say ...), which may be a little less massive in the bass (obviously system dependent what you prefer here), but comes across as a little more expressive in the mids and with a touch more sparkle and, indeed, better separation of layers of musical information up top. For me, all things considered, the TD124 has a better-proportioned sound.

The visual and tactile aspects of this beast were in a different category though. Much pleasure from ownership I'm sure and a monster for rock and pop I suspect.
    My feelings and experience tally with yours Tom. Bought my first TD124/II back in 1970 and still use it to this day (after a couple of belt changes, new 'mushrooms' and a re-lube and oil).
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast