+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Audio Grail 301, Bob Cusworth plinth & Graham Phantom Elite ...a glimpse

I'm Adam.

Default Audio Grail 301, Bob Cusworth plinth & Graham Phantom Elite ...a glimpse

I had the unique opportunity to glimpse at the possibilities of the Garrard 301, a very well designed and built plinth and a top end Tonearm can offer.

After a friendly and informative discussion with Mik at Unique Audio on the qualities and limitations of various Turntable combinations, especially the Garrards, he unexpectedly and very kindly offered to loan me a very well thought out combination for a play.

Well, ...What’s a man to do with such a delicious offering!!

The combination consisted of a beautiful Garrard 301, completely restored and reworked
    by Audio Grail. The Garrard 301 Turntable Audio Grail Special Edition 'Pearl Signature'.
    Pearl signature I hear you ask?, well the paint work is pretty, real pretty. It's finished in White Pearlescent paint, which gives a very subtle pink pearl hallo.

The internals have been completely reworked to optimal performance and feature
    stripped and replated linkage new idler wheel, new bushes, a new speed disk and a new over size heavier platter and much more.
    I have to say, visually it really is a beautiful thing.

The Audio Grail 301 was mounted into an RJC Audio, Bob Cusworth plinth.
    These custom made plinths use a special composite resin material to damp and reduce vibrations. I cut the following info from a 'Wam' thread on these plinths as much of this stuff is word of mouth and contacts, in fact I couldn’t find a current website for RJC plinths.

“The resin composite top plates are housed in a solid timber frame and a stainless steel arm pod is located within the plinth on an isolated heavy sub plinth. Another feature of this plinth is the decoupling of the motor from the Garrard top plate. The motor is mounted within a second high mass sub frame, which is an assembly of cast resin and resinated Bamboo”

Hence to say again a beautiful furniture finish product that would be the proud centre of attention in the smartest living rooms.

The tonearm was a very special Platinum rewired (a special Unique Audio custom)
    12" Graham Phantom Elite, utilising a variation of the Unipivot approach.

Hanging out the bottom of the Graham Phantom Elite was a rather substantial LFD tonearm phono cable, The ‘Silver Scorpion’.

So as you can see I was in rather high brow company, which admittedly made me a little nervous.

Really, I think the purpose in this rambling post was how this stuff changed a couple of preconceived views I had managed to gather.

The first for me was that a high mass wood plinth housing a vintage idler would all sound the same. They 'should' all be comparatively inexpensive, basic things, besides, you can pick one up on ebay from Moldova, for a couple of hundred pounds + shipping!

What first strikes you when handling a RJC Audio, Bob Cusworth plinth is the sheer weight. It’s ridiculously heavy in comparison to other wooden plinths for the Garrards.
    It is beautifully constructed and has a sense of real quality to it. The finish and fit is just top draw. It’s in a totally different universe to the other plinths I have had contact with
    and, it should be, as it's approaching 8-10 x times the cost of most.

But this wasn't an exercise to see how cheaply an Idler and plinth could be assembled
    or indeed a Garrard could be made playable by a quick home fettle and some new oil.

This was the other end of the spectrum, to see what finely crafted products, carefully selected and put together to compliment each other, could sound like.

I admit, it’s hard to tell which component has the greater impact in such a combo, but I suspect they all do equally, as you know, it ALL matters.

I won’t try and explain what the sound was or wasn’t, but overall it was sheer quality. It had the drive and grace the Garrards posses and much more. It wasn't dull or too dark.
    The arm is obviously top notch and dug detail and pace from the records, even though the cartridge used (mine, a Cartridge Man Music Master LE) could possibly be considered the weaker link in the chain.

To encapsulate the feeling and music this combination produced into words is pretty impossible / ridiculous.

But I felt very lucky to peek into a world that frankly is well past my station price wise..
    Although, I must say, the Audio Grail 301 offers superb value if one was keeping a turntable for life, IMHO.

The Graham Phantom Elite Tonearm is just fantasy stuff for me, but it’s engineering and design is something to marvel at. Fantastic

The RJC Audio, Bob Cusworth plinth, I’ll stick my head out here, I’d say is a relative good value product. unfortunately such quality, R&D and raw materials costs..and if I had the dough..I thinks I would!

It was a pleasure to have it all in my living room for a few days.
    Cheers Mik, you are a gentleman sir.

"lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Beautiful. Just beautiful.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Grant.

yeah, georgous workmanship. top drawer
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Nari.

What lovely write well deserved write up, I own a audio grail 301 in a Rjc plinth and while not cheap it gives me the most complete garrard experience I have heard. The combination has a level of drive and information retrieval that is wonderful. I also own a graham phantom elite which to my ears is way way above any of the previous Graham tonearms and the 12" is by far my most preferred arm wand. I have heard the platinum version that is Unique to Unique Audio it is wonderful it has a greater sence of weight and scale but the whole midrange is much more enveloped than the standard version the difference is huge.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Robin.

Lovely looking turntable, could be tempted to buy one of those although probably over my budget.
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin626 View Post
    Lovely looking turntable, could be tempted to buy one of those although probably over my budget.
    £10,000 just for the arm

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    £10,000 just for the arm
    Just a wee bit over my current budget Mike
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    £10,000 just for the arm
    If you could find a Platinum wired Phantom Elite for £10K buy it!
    This one is a fair bit more. But as I said in the post it was an exercise in what’s possible if funds allowed.
    If it floats your boat.
    I wasn’t advocating one sells the house and the kids to fund it, however tempting that may be!
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Wow, looks lovely, can only imagine what it must sound like and would also be a tactile joy I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    I wasn’t advocating one sells the house and the kids to fund it, however tempting that may be!
    Two in my avatar - very well behaved - offers by PM please!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    If you could find a Platinum wired Phantom Elite for £10K buy it!
    This one is a fair bit more. But as I said in the post it was an exercise in what’s possible if funds allowed.
    If it floats your boat.
    Never noticed the Platinum bit

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast