+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Can you ever go back to belt drive?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by allthingsanalogue View Post
    After I sold my modded SL1210 and bought a Gyro SE, I quickly noticed W&F, I even tried an upgraded psu, two belts on a double pulley and nothing fixed it. I sold it a few weeks later and bought the LP12 in 2016. This was much better, however I then bought and an SL1200G and was actually quickly disappointed in the quality of sustained notes on the LP12 for double the price but due to financial reasons had to sell the SL1200G.

I'm now browsing my old yt videos and realise that comparing them to the LP12 the Technics does indeed have better pitch and that's a clincher for me, I've never been happy with any cassette deck for this reason so must be extra sensitive to it.

I have a yt video of my previous 1200G running, here is a link. Please delete if needed.

https://youtu.be/0PzNrcB3Iks That just sounds right to me...
    Thanks for the summary of your experience in that area, which largely mirrors my own. Interesting you mention electronic music, in relation to pitch, and how those sounds are more accurately reproduced digitally - a point on which I would entirely agree. In the same way, to my ears, direct-drive turntables get that right (are more accurate, in terms of pitch) than in general are belt-drive T/Ts, when reproducing that type of music.

I don't believe that any of this is imagined; simply that no-one we know of has so far managed to successfully measure the effects.

I'll watch your YT video later

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    I am not surprised you noticed W&F on the Gyrodec SE, I also had one and after much playing around and using the now infamous Pete's Pylon's reduced the problem greatlyamd I measure the improvement. The prime issue with the Michell TT's is the suspension system which is conical springs and the the motor being not mounted on the chassis, the parts that hold the springs allow the chassis to float in the wind not only vertically but also horizontally, so as the belt move the plate the chassis is susceptible to twisting hence W&F.

I have now moved to a Void TT, yes belt drive but much more stable due to its 3 motors, and also has a nicer tone to it than a Gyrodec, to my ears anyway.
    Yup, I completely concur. Gyros have always been poor in that respect, which as you say is why Pete's Pylons work so well - simply because there exists something fundamental to fix!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Agreed
    Well, if that's the case, then you know what to do!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Well, if that's the case, then you know what to do!

Marco.
    Selling a Linn isn't easy though as there's absolutely no way I can post it, don't know how ebay sellers post them but I wouldn't risk it!

My System:

Turntable - Linn Sondek LP12, Kore, Lingo 4, Roksan NIMA, Lyra Delos Cartridge, Roksan HDC-03 arm lead, Trampolin 2 base, Tiger Paw Vulcan, Denon DCD-A110 Cd player, Tag Mclaren DAC20 Digital to Analogue Converter, SPM Interconnects, Nordost Red Dawn Leif Speaker cable, Spendor S3/5R2 Target R1 speaker Stands, Atacama ECO 60/40 hifi racks, Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones

Collection only, Andrew, unless you have the original box and all the packaging. If it's a nice enough example, the price is right, and someone wants it [and LP12s are certainly popular enough], then someone will be willing to travel and collect it.

In the past, I've driven all over the UK to buy stuff I wanted, such as from Glasgow to Bath, to buy a pair of Spendor SP1s, and from Wrexham to Cornwall, to buy my Lockwood Majors! As they say, where there's a will, there's a way

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Adrian.

Tom Evans lent me a psu for my Gyro and he described the Gyro as 'it's as stable as stirring a wooden spoon in porridge'!
    an accurate description I think though.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Andrew.

Collection only, Andrew, unless you have the original box and all the packaging. If it's a nice enough example, the price is right, and someone wants it [and LP12s are certainly popular enough], then someone will be willing to travel and collect it.

In the past, I've driven all over the UK to buy stuff I wanted, such as from Glasgow to Bath, to buy a pair of Spendor SP1s, and from Wrexham to Cornwall, to buy my Lockwood Majors! As they say, where there's a will, there's a way

Marco.
    My Lp12

Inspired by this photo found online! Any deck has to have 78 for me!

My System:

Turntable - Linn Sondek LP12, Kore, Lingo 4, Roksan NIMA, Lyra Delos Cartridge, Roksan HDC-03 arm lead, Trampolin 2 base, Tiger Paw Vulcan, Denon DCD-A110 Cd player, Tag Mclaren DAC20 Digital to Analogue Converter, SPM Interconnects, Nordost Red Dawn Leif Speaker cable, Spendor S3/5R2 Target R1 speaker Stands, Atacama ECO 60/40 hifi racks, Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones

Nice LP12, Andrew. Which arm is that on the Techy?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Andrew.

Nice LP12, Andrew. Which arm is that on the Techy?

Marco.
    Thanks Marco.

Obviously not my Techy but think it's one of the new Jelco TK850S arms and one of Hugo's fanatastic arm boards.

My System:

Ah, I didn't look at the pic closely enough... But yes, that's a lovely looking arm & board combo, which compliments the turntable perfectly! No doubt it sounds it, too

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast